This Pumpkin Soup with Leeks and White beans is the perfect symphony of Autumn flavors. A silky pumpkin broth with leeks, kale, apples, sage and cannellini beans is such a harmonious combination! Video!
Don’t drink at the water’s edge. Throw yourself in. Become the water. Only then will your thirst be quenched.Jeanette Berson
Nourishing for body and soul, this easy pumpkin soup recipe is fast, healthy and delicious! Comforting on chilly days, and hearty enough for the main entree.
Pumpkin puree creates an incredibly velvety full-bodied broth pairing perfectly with leeks, apple, kale and sage- utilizing the bounty of fall garden goodness. This is one of those creations that is almost effortless to throw together but tastes anything but simple.
Try Pumpkin Soup with Garam Masala for another delicious pumpkin soup recipe!
Pumpkin White Bean Soup | Video
Table of Contents
Why You Will Love Pumpkin Soup Recipe!
- Autumn Flavors: Pumpkin leek soup embodies the essence of fall with its warm and comforting flavors. The combination of creamy pumpkin, savory leeks, and aromatic sage creates a symphony of autumn flavors that will delight your taste buds.
- Nutritional Benefits: Pumpkin leek soup is not only delicious but also nutritious. Pumpkin is packed with vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and potassium, which are good for your immune system. Leeks, on the other hand, are a great source of fiber and antioxidants. This soup is a flavorful way to incorporate wholesome ingredients into your diet.
- Easy and Versatile: Making pumpkin leek soup is a breeze, and it can be customized to suit your preferences. Whether you prefer a smooth and velvety texture or a chunky soup with bits of vegetables, you can easily adjust the consistency by blending or leaving it as is. You can also add your favorite spices or herbs to enhance the flavors further.
- Perfect for Chilly Days: As the weather gets colder, there’s nothing better than a warm bowl of soup to cozy up with. Pumpkin leek soup is comforting and satisfying, making it an ideal choice for chilly days. It’s a versatile dish that can be enjoyed as a light lunch or a hearty dinner, keeping you warm and nourished throughout the season.
Ingredients in Pumpkin Soup
- Butter or olive oil: You can use either butter or olive oil for sautéing the leeks and other vegetables in the soup.
- Leek: Leeks add a delicious flavor to the soup. Make sure to clean them thoroughly as they can be sandy.
- Celery: Celery adds a subtle crunch and freshness to the soup.
- Apple: Adding apple to the soup adds a touch of sweetness and complements the pumpkin flavor.
- Fresh sage: Fresh sage is a lovely herb that pairs well with the other flavors in the soup.
- Salt & White Pepper: Use salt and white pepper to season the soup according to your taste.
- Kale: Kale adds a nutritional boost and a pop of vibrant green color to the soup.
- White wine: White wine adds depth and complexity to the soup. If you prefer, you can substitute 1-2 teaspoons of champagne vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Veggie broth or chicken stock: Use vegetable broth or chicken stock as the base for the soup. You can choose whichever you prefer or have on hand.
- Cannellini beans: Cannellini beans add protein and creaminess to the soup. You can use cooked or canned beans, depending on what you have available.
- Pumpkin puree: You can use either homemade pumpkin puree or canned pumpkin for convenience. The choice is yours!
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How To Make Pumpkin Soup
Start by sautéing the leeks, letting them soften and wilt a bit. Leeks and butter have a strong affinity for each other. (Alternatively, olive oil also does nicely here as well.)
Next add the celery, apples and sage. Add kale and white wine.
Add broth and white beans. Add pumpkin. When time allows, we love roasting a pumpkin making homemade pumpkin puree but canned pumpkin works too!
Bring to a simmer and let cook for about 20 minutes.
Delicious as-is…. or add creamy chèvre for a lovely finish. Or top with Leek Oil! Keep leftovers in an airtight container and reheat to serve. If you are in the mood for decadence, a drizzle of heavy cream would be yummy.
Pumpkin Soup Recipe FAQS
Sure! Most winter squashes would be good, such as kabocha Squash, butternut puree or even mashed sweet potatoes will work!
Pumpkin soup is not only delicious but also nutritious. Pumpkin is packed with essential nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, and potassium, which are beneficial for your immune system. Additionally, leeks and kale provide fiber and antioxidants, making this soup a healthy choice.
In this recipe we are highlighting delicious Autumn ingredients; leeks, kale, white beans and sage, these savory elements combine perfectly with the slight sweetness of the pumpkin.
Hope you have a wonderful Halloween weekend. Make some Pumpkin soup, light some candles, get cozy and let us know how you like this in the comments below.
Love this recipe? Please let us know in the comments and leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below the recipe card.Print
Pumpkin Soup with leeks, white beans and sage. Vegan-adaptable, flavorful, and EASY. Nourishing for body and soul, this healthy fall harvest soup is fast to make and delicious! Comforting on chilly days and hearty enough for the main entree.
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 large leek, sliced in 1/4-inch half moons (1 1/2–2 cups)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped small
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (black pepper works too)
- 2 cups kale, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine (substitute 1-2 teaspoons champagne vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
- 3 cups veggie broth or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups cannellini beans cooked or canned
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pumpkin purée or one 15 oz canned pumpkin (see notes)
- Saute leeks and butter or olive oil in a medium stock pot, over medium heat, letting them wilt and soften about 5 minutes.
- Add celery, apples, sage, salt and pepper. Saute 3-5 minutes more.
- Add kale and white wine. Stir until kale begins to wilt about 2 minutes or so.
- Add broth, white beans and pumpkin puree.
- Bring to a low boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes.
You can substitute most any type of pureed squash for the pumpkin.
The amount of salt greatly depends on the type of broth you use. Start with a little and increase as needed.
If using canned pumpkin, you may want to start with less and add as needed as it can be thicker than the fresh pumpkin puree.
Keywords: Pumpkin soup, vegan pumpkin soup, pumpkin white bean soup, pumpkin leek soup, fall soups, fall soup recipes