This Pumpkin Soup with Leeks and White beans is the perfect symphony of Autumn flavors. A silky pumpkin broth with leeks, kale, apples, sage and cannellini beans is such a harmonious combination -it just might inspire you to sing for your supper! Video!
Don’t drink at the water’s edge. Throw yourself in. Become the water. Only then will your thirst be quenched. —Jeanette Berson
Nourishing for body and soul, this healthy fall harvest soup is fast to make and delicious! Comforting on chilly days, and hearty enough for the main entree.
Pumpkin puree creates an incredibly velvety full-bodied broth pairing perfectly with leeks, apple, kale and sage- utilizing the bounty of fall garden goodness. This is one of those creations that is almost effortless to throw together but tastes anything but simple.
Pumpkin White Bean Soup | Video
Start by sautéing the leeks, letting them soften and wilt a bit.
Leeks and butter have a strong affinity for each other. (Alternatively, olive oil also does nicely here as well.)
Next add the celery, apples and sage.
Add kale and white wine.
Add broth and white beans.
Bring to a simmer and let cook for about 20 minutes.
Delicious as-is…. or add creamy chèvre for a lovely finish. Or top with Leek Oil!
More Fall soups you may like:
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup!
- Creamy Mushroom Soup
- Ribollita! (Tuscan White Bean Soup)
- Instant Pot Pinto Bean Stew
Hope you have a wonderful Halloween weekend. Make some Pumpkin soup, light some candles, get cozy and let us know how you like this in the comments below.
Pumpkin Soup with leeks, kale, white beans and sage. Vegan-adaptable, flavorful, and EASY. Nourishing for body and soul, this healthy fall harvest soup is fast to make and delicious! Comforting on chilly days and hearty enough for the main entree.
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 large leek, sliced in 1/4-inch half moons (1 1/2–2 cups)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped small
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (black pepper works too)
- 2 cups kale, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine (substitute 1-2 teaspoons champagne vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
- 3 cups veggie broth or chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups cannellini beans cooked or canned
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pumpkin puree or one 15 oz canned pumpkin (see notes)
- Saute leeks and butter or olive oil in a medium stock pot, over medium heat, letting them wilt and soften about 5 minutes.
- Add celery, apples, sage, salt and pepper. Saute 3-5 minutes more.
- Add kale and white wine. Stir until kale begins to wilt about 2 minutes or so.
- Add broth, white beans and pumpkin puree.
- Bring to a simmer and let cook for about 20 minutes.
You can substitute most any type of pureed squash for the pumpkin.
The amount of salt greatly depends on the type of broth you use. Start with a little and increase as needed.
- Serving Size: 1 ⅓ cup ( with olive oil and veggie broth)
- Calories: 184
- Sugar: 7.9 g
- Sodium: 719.9 mg
- Fat: 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.1 g
- Fiber: 6.9 g
- Protein: 6.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Pumpkin soup, vegan pumpkin soup, pumpkin white bean soup, pumpkin leek soup, fall soups, fall soup recipes