Caribbean-Style, Island Bowls- with roasted cabbage, sweet potatoes and your choice of tofu (or chicken), baked in the most flavorful Caribbean-style marinade ever! Serve over a bed of seasoned black beans with fresh juicy mango and lime juice!
We have forgotten what rocks, plants and animals still know. We have forgotten how to be-to be still, to be ourselves, to be where life is: Here and Now.
This flavorful, Caribbean-inspired, Island Bowl is easily made on a sheet-pan, with roasted purple cabbage, sweet potatoes, roasted peppers, and your choice of tofu or chicken (or both), bathed in the most delicious Caribbean-infused marinade. Serve over seasoned black beans and top with fresh mango slices and a squeeze of lime. Feel your spirits lift.
So many of you keep telling me how challenging it is cooking for mixed households with vegans, gluten-free and meat-eaters all living under the same roof. I’m creating a new recipe category for you called “Adaptable” with recipes that can be adapted easily at the time of cooking, to fit many needs at once. What I love about this recipe is how easy it is to put together ( all on one sheet pan in the oven) and how easy it is to clean up. Super convenient and fast. Oh, and did I mention healthy??? And, oh ya, yummy!
Here, tofu or chicken ( or both!) are baked in a flavorful Caribbean-style marinade along with sweet potatoes (or plantains) bell peppers, cabbage, onions and any other roast-able vegetable you would care to use up. Today I’ve added a stray parsnip, a carrot and even some cabbage. It all works! The citrusy marinade has undertones of allspice and cinnamon, giving this dish a whisper of the exotic.
The bright, sweet mango brings it all together, along with the lime, so don’t skip this part. Full of healthy veggies, loaded with antioxidants, this Island Bowl is so satisfying…. and the best part, it is very simple to make! Give it a whirl.
Like I mentioned…this recipe works well for mixed households where some are vegetarian/ vegan and others prefer meat. You can make both on one sheet pan, like you see below.
Make the quick Caribbean-style marinade in the blender and lather it over the chicken and tofu.
Drizzle a little over the veggies and toss. Make sure veggies are in a single layer, and not overlapping too much.
Place in a hot oven and roast until done.
Serve over a bowl of warm seasoned black beans or rice or grains.
And add the fresh sliced mango, a squeeze of lime, and scallions….the best part!
Hope you love the refreshing flavors of this Caribean-Style Island Bowl – a little tropical magic for you this week!
More recipes you may like:
- 25 Simple Sheet-Pan Dinners
- 20 Buddha Bowls (Vegan & Plant Based!)
- Bali Bowls with Peanut Tofu
- Miso Mushroom Bowl
- Seoul Bowl (Vegan Bibimbap!)
PS. We are back from Bali. As much as I love to travel, boy does it feels good to sleep in my own bed. Excited to get cooking again!! I’ve missed you!
Caribbean-Style Island Bowl with roasted cabbage, sweet potatoes and tofu ( or chicken) baked in the most flavorful Caribbean-style marinade, served over a bed of seasoned black beans with fresh mango and lime!
- 16 ounces chicken breasts or tofu filets ( or use some of each)
- 1 diced yam ( ¾ inch dice), or try sliced plantains!
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper -cut into one inch wedges
- ½ cabbage ( cut into wedges) or sub parsnips or carrots!
- 1 can black beans ( or sub cooked grains)
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 lime
- 2 scallions, sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice, plus 1 teaspoon zest
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce or Gluten free Braggs Liquid Amino Acids
- 2 teaspoons honey, maple or agave
- 5 fat garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt, more to taste ( after)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground clove ( or sub nutmeg)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne or chili flakes or alleppo ( optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Place marinade ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place tofu and/or chicken on a parchment lined sheet pan and season with salt and pepper. Pour some marinade over top, brushing and turning them over to get both sides coated well.
- Prep the veggies and place on the sheet pan in a single layer alongside the tofu/ chicken ( or use another sheet pan) and either use any extra marinade to lightly coat the veggies, or season with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. You may have extra marinade depending on how many servings you make.
- Place sheet pan in a hot oven and roast until the chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender, about 20-25 minutes. Give the veggies a quick toss after 15 minutes , for more even cooking.
- Slice the mango and scallions and heat the beans in a small pot.
- Season the beans with salt, pepper and a teaspoon of cumin.
- Divide the seasoned warm beans among 2-4 bowls, arrange with the roasted veggies and tofu or chicken. Add sliced fresh mango, squeeze with lime and sprinkle with scallions.
- Serving Size: -with 4 ounces tofu
- Calories: 449
- Sugar: 16.6 g
- Sodium: 518.3 mg
- Fat: 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 54.6 g
- Fiber: 13.3 g
- Protein: 18.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan buddha bowl, buddha bowl recipe, sheet pan dinners, Caribbean chicken recipes, Caribbean recipes, Caribbean marinade, healthy bowl, mango recipes