This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Caprese Pizza Ingredeint Notes:
- Pizza Crust: Our favorite pizza dough is this sourdough pizza crust recipe, but feel free to make your favorite pizza crust recipe or use store-bought pizza dough. You can even use naan bread, flat bread or pita bread as the base in a pinch.
- Tomatoes: Here, we’ve roasted colorful cherry tomatoes ahead, but feel free to use ripe tomato slices.
- Fresh Mozzarella Cheese: Use fresh Mozzarella balls stored in water for the best texture and flavor here ( minis or full-sized, sliced) but grated mozzarella cheese or vegan mozzarella can also be used.
- Basil – we use basil in two ways! We make basil oil brush it on the crust, instead of a tomato sauce- and use fresh basil on the top.
- Balsamic glaze– optional, but yummy!
How to make Caprese Pizza!
More recipes you may like:
- Basil Oil
- Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Caprese Sandwich
- Sourdough Pizza Crust
- Burrata Salad with Tomato & Nectarine
- Grilled Pizza with Figs, Balsamic Onions and Gorgonzola
How to make Caprese Pizza with cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, basil oil and optional balsamic drizzle.
- 16 oz pizza dough, brought to room temp (or use store-bought)
- 1 lb mixed cherry, grape and yellow pear tomatoes (or use sliced tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch salt and pepper
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella balls (about 12 -14 mini balls, or slice)
- 2 oz grated pecorino Romano cheese ( optional but delicious)
- balsamic glaze (optional but delicious)
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Set pizza dough on a floured surface and bring to room temp. If roasting cherry tomatoes ahead, slice some of the tomatoes in half, leaving some whole. Toss tomatoes with olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 10-12 minutes until tender and lightly roasted. Alternatively used sliced tomatoes, no need to roast ahead.
- Make the Basil Oil. In a food processor, pulse ½ cup packed basil, 2 cloves garlic and salt -until chopped finely. Add 6 tablespoons olive oil, and pulse, scraping down the sides if necessary until combined.
- On a floured surface, roll out pizza dough into a very thin 16-18 inch round ( or 20 inch oblong). Place on a cornmeal-dusted sheet pan, or pizza stone. Spread the basil oil over the crust up to ½ inch of the outer edge.
- Cut mini mozzarella balls in half and place them on the pizza dough. Sprinkle pecorino romano cheese. Place roasted tomatoes on top, scattering evenly.
- Place pizza in the 450 F oven and bake 10-12 minutes, until cheese has melted and crust is crisp. Broil for 1-2 minutes more to give the tomatoes a little extra char if desired.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with torn basil leaves and drizzle with a little balsamic syrup. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 358
- Sugar: 3.5 g
- Sodium: 662.2 mg
- Fat: 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.9 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 12.8 g
- Cholesterol: 24.8 mg
Keywords: caprese pizza, caprese pizza recipe