A healthy vegan raw Beet Salad with avocado, tender greens, sprouts, toasted pumpkin seeds, pickled shallots, tossed in a flavorful Cashew Basil dressing and drizzled with Cashew Cream for extra richness. A vegan “power salad”!
This VEGAN POWER SALAD is loaded up with fresh grated beets, avocado, power greens, sprouts, quick pickled shallots or sauerkraut, toasted pumpkin seeds and tossed with a Cashew Basil Dressing and drizzled with Cashew Cream which acts like cheese, rich and flavorful.
It was inspired by a very similar dish we had in Ojai, California at an enchanting little restaurant called Food Harmonics. I was so pleasantly surprised to stumble in this gem of a place and their lovely outdoor patio- and enjoyed this salad tremendously. I think you will too.
Note, the salad has two dressings. You need both. 😉
Here are the two dressings- Cashew Cream and Cashew Basil Dressing which both can be made in the blender. The dressings make enough for 6 salads.
Fresh grated beets are added to the salad- so there is no cooking involved. Some of you lucky ones out there have upscale markets that actually sell fresh grated beets in the produce section, or in the salad bar- a much simpler and less messy solution. Or peel and grate at home using a hand grater, or food processor.
Toss the greens with just enough basil dressing to lightly coat. Toss in the picked shallots or sauerkraut. Divide among two bowls and top the fresh grated beets.
A rich, vegan high protein beet salad!
RELATED: BEET SALAD WITH ORANGES AND FENNELPrint
Pickled Shallots ( or substitue sauerkraut)
- 1 large shallot- thinly sliced ( or sub ¼ cup red onion)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar or
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce or Liquid Aminos
- ¼ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- ¾ cup raw cashews
Cashew Basil Dressing
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ cup packed basil leaves or sub Italian parsley or mix of both
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice ( or AC vinegar)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup cashews
Raw Beet Salad – SERVES 2
- 4 ounces power greens
- 1 medium beet, peeled and grated
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup sprouts
- optional additions- cherry tomatoes, grated carrots, radishes, chickpeas,
- Place shallot, vinegar, water, salt, sugar in a small pot over high heat. Bring to a simmer for a couple minutes, then set aside and let cool, or refrigerate.
- Make Cashew Cream. Place water, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, soy sauce and salt in a blender. Blend. Add cashews and blend until very very smooth. It should be thick and smooth. Scrape blender clean, setting Cashew Cream aside in a small bowl.
- Rinse Blender, then make Cashew Basil Dressing. Place olive oil, garlic, basil, lemon, salt in the blender. Pulse a few times. Then add cashews and continue pulsing until chopped and blended, but not too smooth. Taste for salt, and lemon, add more if necessary. Set aside, and assemble salads.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss power greens lightly with the Dressing using a few tablespoons, to just lightly dress ( you won’t use all). Add some pickled shallots or ½ cup sauerkraut , toss and divide among two large bowls. Top dressed greens with grated beets and avocado slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle with cashew cream, and more dresssing if you like and scatter with pumpkin seeds and sprouts.
Salad serves 2 as mains, dressings serves 6.
- Calories: 550
Keywords: Beet salad, raw beet salad, vegan beet salad, beet salad recipe, healthy beet salad, power salad, vegan power salad