Zucchini Scallion Pancakes are so simple and so satisfying! Easy to whip together in just minutes. Serve as an appetizer or light meal with a quick dipping sauce and kimchi. Vegetarian and gluten-free. Video
When I rise up, let me rise up joyful like a bird. When I fall, let me fall without regret like a leaf.~ Wendell Berry
These Korean-inspired Zucchini Scallion Pancakes are a simple tasty treat! No-fuss preparation and ready to serve in minutes. Packed with zucchini and scallions, held together with rice flour and eggs, heavy on the veggies.
The texture is tender with toasty edges, kind of similar to a crepe or omelet.
Seasoned with gochujang chili paste and a touch of rice wine, they are filled with savory flavor. Sesame seeds add savory crunch and flavor. Change up the veggies to what you have on hand. We added a few purple carrots here for color and a touch of sweetness.
Zucchini Scallion Pancakes | Video!
Ingredients in Zucchini Scallion Pancakes:
How to make Zucchini Scallion Pancakes:
Mix rice flour with water, egg and seasonings, set aside to hydrate while you prepare the veggies.
Cut zucchini into narrow strips- spiraling or grating works too. Cut scallions in strips by slicing in quarters long ways, creating strips about 4-5 inches long.
Mix zucchini, scallions and any other veggies into the rice flour batter. The water has a tendency to separate from the batter- make sure you scrape the bottom of the bowl when you mix.
Spread a thin layer of batter and veggies on a cast iron or well-seasoned pan. It is easier to flip if you keep the pancake no larger than 6 or 7 inches. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side, until golden.
3Tips for cooking Scallion Pancakes:
- Use tongs to place battered veggies onto the pan, spreading out so they are not piled on each other. Spoon on the batter to fill in any holes.
- Keep them thin so that they cook through.
- After flipping, press the pancake down with a metal spatula to flatten and cook more evenly on the underside.
Serve with kimchi and soy dipping sauce.
Other recipes you may like:
- How to Make Kimchi! A Quick Easy Authentic Kimchi Recipe
- Kimchi Fried Rice
- Seasoned Japanese Rice with Furikake
- Farmers Market Fried Rice
- Chinese Sesame Noodles with Veggies!
- Kung Pao Zucchini
Hope you enjoy these savory Zucchini Scallion Pancakes!
Zucchini Scallion Pancakes are so simple and so satisfying! Easy to whip together in just minutes. Serve as an appetizer or light meal with a quick dipping sauce and kimchi. Vegetarian and gluten-free.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons gochujang hot pepper paste (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in thin strips or grated or spiralized
- 1 bunch scallions, slice in quarters long ways, creating strips about 4–5 inches long
- 1 tablespoon raw sesame seeds, untoasted
- avocado oil or other high heat cooking oil
- Mix together water, rice flour, eggs, gochujang, mirin, white pepper, and salt. Set aside to hydrate while you prepare the veggies.
- Mix prepared veggies into the rice flour batter.
- Heat a cast iron or other non-stick pan to medium high heat, oil the pan with a teaspoon or so of oil. Use tongs to place battered veggies onto the pan, spreading out so they are not piled on each other. Spoon on batter to fill in any holes. Keeping it thin and no bigger then 7 inches.
- Sprinkle on a teaspoon of sesame seeds. Cook for 3 minutes per side. After flipping, press pancake down with a metal spatula to flatten and cook more evenly on the underside.
- Serve with kimchi and dipping sauce.