Khao Soi is a rich fragrant Coconut Curry Noodle Soup that hails from Northern Thailand. This FAST, FLAVORFUL & EASY version can be made with w/ either shrimp, crispy tofu or chicken! Vegan-adaptable, GF. Video!
No Matter how hard the past, you can always begin again. ~Buddha
This 15-Minute Thai Coconut Curry Noodle Soup is called Khao Soi, and hails from the Northern part of Thailand (Chiang Mai) where the weather stays a bit cooler. It’s a godsend when time is short, or you are feeling a bit lazy, yet you crave something warm, rich and spicy.
The coconut broth is fragrant and rich, coating the noodles well. And once the flavorful base is made, what you put in the soup is very adaptable. Today I’ve added prawns – but it’s delicious with crispy tofu or chicken too, or even just veggies.
How to Make Khao Soi! | 30-sec video
Spring showers have been here, making everything exceptionally bright and green and lush. On rainy spring days like we’ve had these past few weeks, all I want to do is wrap myself up in a cozy blanket, curl up with a good book and slurp soup. Preferably with a little heat and some kind of noodle.
Ingredients in Khao Soi
- rice noodles
- coconut oil, peanut oil or olive oil
- Thai Red Curry Paste (store-bought, I like this brand), more for spicier
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- cardamom– optional
- coconut milk
- chicken stock or veggie broth
- kefir lime leaves
- red bell pepper (optional- sub other veggies)
- fish sauce– or vegan fish sauce
- soy sauce (perhaps reduce if using vegan fish sauce, or use to taste)
- brown sugar, palm sugar or an alternative substitute
- chili garlic sauce (Sambal Olek)
- shrimp or prawns (or sub crispy tofu, or raw, thinly sliced chicken- or leftover baked chicken or rotisserie chicken)
- Optional Garnishes: fresh basil (Thai basil is best!), pickled mustard Greens (traditional), crispy ramen noodles, cilantro, bean sprouts, lime wedge, thinly sliced red onions or scallions.
Variations of Khao Soi
- You can make this Thai Coconut Curry Noodle Soup vegan by using crispy tofu and vegan fish sauce, and swapping out veggie stock for the chicken stock. You can add more veggies to the broth.
- You can make this chicken breast or chicken thighs
- Or Make this with shrimp.
- Instead of shrimp, you can add fish.
- Traditional Khao Soi is often topped with crispy fried noodles and pickled mustard greens as a garnish which you can pick up at Asian Markets. The pickled mustard is especially nice here.
How to Garnish Khao Soi
- pickled mustard greens or stems (traditional)
- crispy ramen noodles (traditional)
- cilantro or Thai basil
- Lime wedges
- Bean sprouts
So comforting and flavorful!
Noodles in Thai Coconut Curry Soup
More Thai recipes you may like:
- Thai Green Curry Noodle Soup
- Easy to Make Pad Thai with Chicken Shrimp or Tofu
- Authentic Tom Kha Gai (Thai Coconut Chicken Soup)
- Thai Green Curry with Vegetables
- Instant Pot Thai Curry Chicken
- Thai Burrito with Peanut Sauce
- 20 Delicious Thai Recipes!
A flavorful and very addicting Northern Style Thai Coconut Curry Noodle Soup, called Khao Soi. Easy and fast, and so yummy.
- 4 ounces dry rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon coconut, peanut or olive oil
- 1 large shallot finely diced ( or sub half an onion)
- 2 tablespoons chopped lemongrass
- 2 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 2 tablespoons Thai Red Curry Paste (store-bought, I like this brand), more for spicier
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric – optional
- pinch cardamom– optional
- 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth (or use water and one chicken bouillon cube)
- 4–6 kefir lime leaves (optional, but delicious!)
- 1 thinly sliced red bell pepper (optional- sub other veggies)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce– or vegan fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce ( perhaps reduce if using vegan fish sauce, or use to taste)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, palm sugar or alternative substitute
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce (Sambal Olek)
- 8–12 ounces raw, peeled and deveined prawns (or crispy tofu, or raw, thinly sliced chicken- or leftover baked chicken or rotisserie chicken)
- 1 lime
- Garnish with fresh basil (Thai basil is best!), Pickled Mustard Greens (traditional), cilantro, bean sprouts, lime wedge, thinly sliced red onions or scallions.
- Start a pot of boiling water, to cook the rice noodles and make sure to follow your package directions, as rice noodles can differ. Drain and rinse with water to help prevent them from sticking together. A little oil to coat, will help here, or if you time it right, you can add it directly to the soup.
- While water is boiling, prep the shallot, garlic, lemongrass, red bell pepper, then get all other ingredients ready by the stove.
- In a medium pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallot and lemongrass. Saute until fragrant and golden, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, saute 1-2 minutes. Add red curry paste, turmeric, and a pinch of cardamom. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk , chicken broth and kefir lime leaves and bring to a simmer, stirring. Once gently simmering add the bell pepper, fish sauce, sugar, soy sauce and chili garlic paste.
- Add the prawns (or chicken or tofu) and gently simmer until cooked. Give a generous squeeze of lime. Taste, adding more lime/salt/ red curry paste if necessary.
- Drain the noodles. If serving all of the soup immediately, toss the noodles right into the pot and then serve. Alternatively, divide noodles into the bowls and ladle the flavorful soup over top- a bit easier to handle.
- Garnish with fresh basil, pickled mustard greens, crispy rice noodles, bean sprouts, thinly sliced red onion, lime wedge, or chopped scallions.
To bump up the flavorful coconut broth even more, add few slices of galangal!
Feel free to make the soup broth the day before and keep in the fridge, keeping the noodles separate ( they will swell in the soup) and simply reheat.
To bump up the heat, add more red chili paste or chili sauce, or a few thinly sliced fresh chilies ( as a garnish)
Keywords: Khao Soi Recipe, easy khao soi, coconut curry noodles, thai coconut noodle soup, thai curry noodles, Khao Soi, thai curry noodles