What to buy at an Asian Market
Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
A flavorful Bowl of Thai chicken Noodle soup, scented with lemongrass and ginger. Gluten-free and low fat.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Thai
- 1 onion, finely diced ( or 2 shallots)
- ¼ cup Ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- ¼ cup lemongrass, finely chopped
- 3 Cloves garlic, chopped
- 1–2 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
- 12 Cups chicken Stock or broth
- 1 tablespoon Thai style fish sauce
- 5–6 keffir lime leaves (optional but good! available at Asian markets)
- ¼ C sliced galanga (optional – available at Asian markets)
- 1 ½ lbs chicken breast or thigh sliced into uniform ½ inch thick, bite size pieces
- 4 oz slice mushrooms ( optional)
- 4–6 oz. vermicelli rice stick noodles, kelp noodles or angel hair pasta
- ½ Cup chopped cilantro
- 4 scallions chopped
- 1 fresh red chili pepper- medium hot
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- bean sprouts ( optional, but delish)
- hot chili sauce ( sriracha, sambal oelek or hot chili oil)
- *If you have time to make this flavorful broth ahead, like the night before or the morning before, and then refrigerate, letting all the flavors meld- this would be ideal. Then when ready to serve, heat broth and add the rest of the ingredients. But you can also just make all in one shot.
- In a large pot, heat oil, over med high heat. Add onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes, stirring, until golden and tender. Turn heat to Med. Add ginger, and saute a few more minutes. Add lemongrass and garlic and galanga ( optional). Keep stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Then add Chicken stock and fish sauce and lime leaves ( optional) . Bring to a boil, turn heat down so stock is simmering ( low boil) and let simmer on medium heat ( or medium low) uncovered for about 20-30 minutes. This simmering will allow the broth to reduce just a bit and become more concentrated and flavorful.
- Don’t be temped to add chillies to the simmering stock, it will end up too spicy. If possible, refrigerate this overnight or for 8 hours before finishing. If its not an option, just continue with recipe.
- After refrigerating, or after the stock has simmered 30 minutes, bring strained stock to a boil. Add chicken pieces, noodles and mushrooms ( optional), keeping stock at low boil, and stir occasionally until chicken is cooked through and noodles are cooked, about 7-8 minutes.
- Taste for salt, acid and heat, adjusting all with fish sauce, lime and chili paste. When ready to serve, stir in ½ the scallions.
- Top steaming bowls of soup with cilantro, scallions, bean sprouts (optional, but give a great crunch) , a few red slice chilies and serve with lime wedge and little hot sriracha sauce, sambal oelek, or even hot chili oil.
- Calories: 356
Keywords: thai noodle soup, thai noodle soup recipe, thai chicken noodle soup, lemongrass soup, thai chicken soup,