What to buy at an Asian Market:
A flavorful Bowl of Thai chicken Noodle soup, scented with lemongrass and kefir lime. Gluten-free and low fat. ( updated recipe 2019)
- 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced ( or 2 large shallots)
- 2 tablespoons ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- ¼ cup lemongrass, very finely chopped
- ¼ cup, thinly sliced galanga root (peels ok)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 Cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 kefir lime leaves ( check the frozen section of the Asian market, if not fresh)
- 1 ½ lbs chicken breast (or thigh) sliced into uniform ½ inch thick, bite-size pieces
- 4 oz sliced mushrooms ( optional)
- 4–6 oz. vermicelli rice stick noodles, kelp noodles or angel hair pasta
- 2–3 teaspoons fish sauce, more to taste
- lime juice to taste (start with 1/2 a small lime)
- 2–3 teaspoons chili paste (optional)
- In a large pot, heat oil, over med-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until golden and tender. Turn heat to medium, add ginger, and saute a few more minutes. Add lemongrass and garlic and galanga (optional). Keep stirring occasionally for about 3-5 minutes until fragrant. Then add Chicken stock, water, salt and lime leaves. Bring to a boil and turn the heat down so stock is simmering gently uncovered for about 10-15 minutes. (Don’t be tempted to add chilies to the simmering stock, it will end up too spicy.)
- After the stock has simmered and add the chicken, simmer 5 minutes, add the noodles and mushrooms ( optional), keeping stock at low simmer, stirring occasionally until chicken is cooked through and noodles are cooked, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add fish sauce and a generous squeeze of lime.
- Taste for salt, acid and heat, adjusting all with fish sauce, lime and chili paste. Right before serving, stir in ½ the scallions.
- Serve immediately and top bowls of soup with cilantro, scallions, bean sprouts (optional, but give a great crunch), a few red slice chilies and serve with a lime wedge and little hot sriracha sauce, sambal oelek, or even hot chili oil on the side.
- Calories: 425
Keywords: thai noodle soup, thai noodle soup recipe, thai chicken noodle soup, lemongrass soup, thai chicken soup,