Strawberry Arugula Salad with Basil and Black Rice… with crumbled Goat cheese and a simple Balsamic dressing.
There is nothing much better than locally grown strawberries- picked the very same day you bring them home from the farmers market or farm. Tender, juicy and perfectly ripe, they are intensely flavorful and at their absolute best. We’ve been eating them by the bowlful, adding them to morning yogurt, vanilla ice cream, salads and savory grilled meat dishes too. In this recipe for Strawberry Arugula Salad with Basil and Black Rice the optional crumbled goat cheese is tossed in at the very last minute. Dressed with a simple balsamic maple dressing, this is quick and easy. The black rice can be substituted with wild rice, farro, or quinoa if you like.
This Strawberry Basil Arugula Salad can be made ahead and packs well for lunches, just be sure to leave out the arugula when tossing. When packing it up, make a bed of arugula on the bottom, placing the strawberry rice part over top, so the arugula doesn’t get overly wilty.
Strawberry Arugula salad with basil, black rice and goat cheese
Strawberry Arugula Salad with Basil and Black Rice… with Goat cheese and a simple Balsamic Maple dressing. | www.feastingathome.com
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Northwest
- 4 cups cooked black rice ( or sub wild rice, quinoa, farro)
- 1 pound strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 4 scallions- sliced at a dianol
- 3 ounces arugula ( two big handfuls)
- ¼ cup basil ribbons
- ½ cup chopped italian parsley
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ tsp salt and pepper, more to taste.
- Place all salad ingredients in a bowl ( except arugula and goat cheese).
- Pour dressing ingredients over top and toss well. Season with salt and pepper and taste, adjusting if necessary.
- Right before serving toss in the arugula and top with optional crumbed goat cheese.