This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Mushrooms, garlic and sage- a flavorful low-carb, gluten-free meal that feels like a comforting pasta dish, perfect for fall! Keep it vegan or add grated Romano cheese! With a Video!
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky. — Rabindranath Tagore
Here’s a very simple easy recipe for Roasted Spaghetti Squash with mushrooms, garlic and sage – a flavorful comforting dish, perfect for fall. Keep it vegan or add some grated Romano cheese and toasted pine nuts for extra depth and flavor.
For extra wow, drizzle with a little truffle oil – optional but really delicious. Serve this with roasted chicken, fish or just on its own as a vegan/vegetarian main dish, alongside a salad.
Roasted Spaghetti Squash Video
How to roast a spaghetti squash
Learn the BEST way to Cooke Spaghetti Squash here! Or follow bellow.
Cut the spaghetti squash in half widthwise (as opposed to lengthwise) to keep the spaghetti strands long and intact. (Cutting them lengthwise will make the strands short and shopped up).
Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast, open side down in the oven. (Feel free to do this ahead and keep in the fridge. Alternatively, you can microwave, cut sides down for about 12 minutes.)
Place in a 425 F oven and roast for 35 -50 minutes, until tender and easily pierceable with a knife.
*Then while still in the oven, lay them on their side, and roast 5 more minutes, so steam cooks off and the squash dries out a bit!
Scoop out the seeds with a spoon and then scoop out the squash, setting it aside.
Sprinkle with grated Parmesan or Romano cheese if you like- or try Vegan Cheesy Sprinkle!
Top with your favorite protein if you like!
- Baked Chicken Breasts
- Baked Tofu (with 3 Flavorful Marinades)
- Tofu Bacon
- Crispy Tofu
- Salmon with Braised French Lentils
Add wilted spinach or kale to bump up the nutrients here!
If feeling decadent, drizzle a little truffle oil over the top before serving. Delicious!
More Spaghetti Squash Recipes!
- How to Cook Spaghetti Squash
- Spaghetti Squash with Chard, Walnuts and Chèvre
- Stuffed Spaghetti Squash with Pecans, Kale and Dried Cranberries
- Roasted Spaghetti Squash w/ Eggplant Puttanesca
- Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Stuffed Acorn Squash with Apple, Parsnip and Sage
Roasted Spaghetti Squash with mushrooms, garlic and sage- a flavorful and healthy low-carb meal that feels like a comforting pasta dish! Perfect for fall! Keep it vegan or add grated Romano cheese!
- 1 small spaghetti squash (about 2 lbs)
- 1 Tablespoon butter ( optional, or just use olive oil)
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- 12– 16 ounces sliced mushrooms – cremini, shiitake or chanterelles
- 4–6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons fresh torn sage
- salt and pepper to taste
- generous pinch nutmeg
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese (or Parmesan) OPTIONAL
- drizzle truffle oil – optional but delicious, especially if going vegan.
- toasted pine nuts – optional but delicious!
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Cut spaghetti squash in half (widthwise) and place open side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 30-40 minutes until knife-tender, turn on their side, and roast 5-10 more minutes to allow steam to dry out!
- While squash is baking, heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions until just tender about 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms, turn heat to medium and saute until they begin to release their liquid, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and sage and continue cooking until mushrooms brown, about 4 minutes.
- Season generously with salt and pepper and nutmeg. Feel free to deglaze the pan with a little wine if you like, cooking this off.
- Scoop out the spaghetti squash seeds, then add the long strands into the saute pan with the mushrooms and stir to incorporate.
- Taste for salt, and add more if necessary. Stir in most of the grated cheese, saving some for garnish. Place in a serving bowl, top with remaining cheese and a drizzle of truffle oil and a sprinkling of pine nuts.
Cutting the spaghetti squash in half widthwise (as opposed to lengthwise) will keep the spaghetti strands long and intact. (Cutting them lengthwise will make the strands short and shopped up.)
OR Try this faster method How to cook Spaghetti Squash!
- Serving Size: with cheese and no pine nuts
- Calories: 378
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 253.2 mg
- Fat: 26.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.2 g
- Fiber: 7.5 g
- Protein: 14.1 g
- Cholesterol: 30 mg
Keywords: Spaghetti Squash Recipe, Roasted Spaghetti Squash, Roasted Spaghetti Squash Recipe, spaghetti squash with mushrooms, best spaghetti squash recipe