This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength. – St Francis de Sales
Wow, we’ve been having the most incredible fall! Sunshine for days! It doesn’t get much better than this and I’ve been soaking it up. My favorite time of year. It’s also the time of year when all the beautiful winter squashes are out, and these days there are so many varieties to choose from.
One of my favorites is Delicata, and you will laugh when I tell you why. Because they are the perfect squash for lazy cooks, which, I have to admit, sometimes I am! Can you guess why?
Because delicatas have very thin skins! Meaning, you don’t have to peel them! Their skin is edible- and full of fiber!
What does delicata squash taste like?
Delicata squash are known as the “sweet potato squash” because their flesh is sweet and earthy like sweet potato and they have a similar texture! Some people taste a subtle corn flavor as well.
In a nutshell: they taste delicious!
How to roast delicata squash?
- Wash and slice into 1/2 inch rings. Scrape out seeds
- Season with olive oil, maple syrup, salt and pepper.
- Place on a parchment-lined sheet pan in a single layer ( you may need two, depending on your pan size).
- Roast in 425 F oven 20 minutes, then check every 5 minutes, until deeply golden.
- Make the optional glaze.
When you cut into the delicata squash, they look like sunshine. So bright and cheery.
Season them and add onion or shallot if you like.
Spread them out in a single layer sheet pan, lined with parchment and bake in a 425F oven for 20-25 minutes.
For an extra burst of flavor, I like making a glaze out of Apple Cider Vinegar and Maple Syrup. As the vinegar reduces it sweetens. Whole cumin seeds add a delicious earthiness, but if cumin is not your favorite, leave it out!
I love these flavors together! So tasty!
Serve this with:
- Roasted Whole Chicken!
- Baked Chicken Breasts!
- Mushroom Wellington with Rosemary and Pecans
- Roasted Portobello Mushrooms
- Mr. Ben’s Mustard-Roasted Chicken with Drippings Cauliflower
Related: Vegetarian Side Dishes
Hope you have a beautiful weekend. Enjoy the roasted delicata squash and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Roasted Delicata Squash with a flavorful Maple Apple cider glaze, a delicious vegan side dish that is earthy, sweet, sour with a little bit of heat.
- 2 Delicata Squash, sliced into 1/2 inch rings, seeds removed ( leave skin on, it’s edible)
- 4 shallots, quartered lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Maple Apple Cider Glaze (optional)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo chili flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (optional)
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Wash squash and slice into 1/2 inch rings. Scrape seeds out of each piece with a spoon. (If you are in a hurry you can slice the delicata squash in half, lengthwise, scrape out seeds, then slice into half-moons 1/2 inch thick).
- Place in a medium bowl with the quartered shallots, and drizzle with oil and maple syrup. Add salt and pepper and toss to evenly coat well. Place on a parchment-lined sheet pan in a single layer ( you may need two, depending on your pan size).
- Roast in the oven 20 minutes, then check every 5 minutes, until deeply golden.
- While this is roasting, Make the optional Glaze. Place vinegar and maple syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and aleppo chili flakes. Bring to a gentle simmer, lower heat and simmer until it becomes thick and syrupy- about 5 minutes. You should end up with about 1/4 cup. Turn heat off.
- When squash is done, place on a platter, scatting the shallots about. Top with the hazelnuts, then spoon the sauce over top. ( If sauce thickens too much while cooling, add a couple of teaspoons water, heat and stir. It will loosen.)
- Scatter with Italian parsley and serve immediately.
The glaze is optional but tasty. You can serve the roasted squash, on its own, without the glaze!
This is also tasty with soft crumbled goat cheese, so feel free to add to the top if you like.
If cookinf for 2, feel free to halve this recipe!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 218
- Sugar: 18.7 g
- Sodium: 401.4 mg
- Fat: 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.8 g
- Fiber: 4.3 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: roasted delicata squash, how to cook Delicata squash, baked Delicata squash, vegan side dishes, vegan sides, Delicata squash recipes,