Grain-free Moroccan cauliflower couscous is gluten-free, healthy and vibrantly flavorful! Cauliflower stands in for couscous here with dried apricots, toasted almonds and Moroccan spices, tossed with fresh parsley, mint and a lemon honey drizzle.
The earth is full of thresholds where beauty awaits the wonder of our gaze. ~
Gluten-free, Moroccan Cauliflower Couscous is a pretty amazing twist on the traditional. Not too complicated and entirely plant-based! A deliciously flavorful and healthy gluten-free alternative to couscous whether or not grain is a part of your diet.
The finely riced cauliflower has a similar grainy texture to couscous (couscous is made from coarsely ground durum wheat, also known as semolina). The cauliflower is briefly cooked with shallots then tossed with diced red bell peppers, and dried apricots giving just the right amount of chewiness and fresh crunch, taking on the Moroccan spices beautifully. Fresh parsley, mint, and toasted almonds round it all out.
Cauliflower is the star here! So versatile and full of fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
Cut it up into chunks. You may want to process in two batches.
Pulse until a coarse snowy texture forms. Set aside.
Prep all your ingredients. Chop, mince, dice. I like to keep things cut in similar sizes for texture and it looks pretty!
Moroccan Cauliflower Couscous Ingredients
- red bell pepper
- dried apricots (or use dates or raisins)
- fresh parsley and mint
- honey (or go vegan with maple syrup, rice syrup, yakon root syrup)
- spices: cinnamon, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika
- almonds (or pinenuts)
- optional additions: chickpeas, feta cheese, pinch of cayenne, preserved lemon
Add cauliflower and continue to cook over medium heat until softened and heated through.
Add red bell pepper and dried apricots. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Pour over the cauliflower along with fresh chopped parsley and mint. Toss altogether thoroughly.
Top with toasted almonds.
Moroccan Cauliflower is so delicious with pan-seared salmon. Here it is shown with this recipe for Simple Moroccan Salmon.
More recipes you may like:
- How to Make Cauliflower Rice!
- Roasted Cauliflower Rice Bowl with Tofu and Veggies
- Purple Cauliflower Salad (Sicilian Style!)
- Indian Cauliflower, Chickpea & Tofu Bowls
- Portuguese Prawns and Cauliflower Grits
- 1 head cauliflower, about 1 1/4 pounds or 5 cups riced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, diced
- juice and zest of a lemon
- 2–3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey (or brown rice syrup, maple syrup, yacon root syrup)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup almonds, toasted (slivered, sliced or whole chopped)
- Cut cauliflower roughly into one-inch chunks. Put half into the processor and pulse until a snowy texture forms. About 1 minute. Repeat with the remaining cauliflower.
- In a large pan put a tablespoon of olive oil, cumin seeds and shallots, sautéing 5 minutes or so over medium heat to toast the seeds and soften the shallots.
- Add cauliflower and salt, stirring over medium-low heat for about 7 minutes. Stir to fully heat all of the cauliflower. You aren’t browning the cauliflower but just heating it thoroughly and allowing it to soften.
- Add red bell pepper and dried apricots. Remove from heat. Let cool for about 20 minutes.
- Whisk together lemon juice and zest, apple cider vinegar (start with 2 tablespoons adding more if needed), honey, cinnamon, coriander and smoked paprika. Pour over cauliflower along with parsley and mint. Toss all together. Top with toasted nuts.
Optional additions: chickpeas, feta, a pinch of cayenne
Add more veggies! Diced carrots, zucchini, green bell pepper.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 229
- Sugar: 18.1 g
- Sodium: 524.3 mg
- Fat: 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.6 g
- Fiber: 6.7 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: cauliflower rice, moroccan cauliflower rice, cauliflower couscous, moroccan cauliflower couscous, gluten-free couscous