Grain-free Moroccan cauliflower couscous is gluten-free, healthy and vibrantly flavorful! Cauliflower stands in for couscous here with dried apricots, toasted almonds and Moroccan spices, tossed with fresh parsley, mint and a lemon honey drizzle. Vegan-adaptable.
- 1 head cauliflower, about 1 1/4 pounds or 5 cups riced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, diced
- juice and zest of a lemon
- 2–3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey (or brown rice syrup, maple syrup, yacon root syrup)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup almonds, toasted (slivered, sliced or whole chopped)
- Cut cauliflower roughly into one-inch chunks. Put half into the processor and pulse until a snowy texture forms. About 1 minute. Repeat with the remaining cauliflower.
- In a large pan put a tablespoon of olive oil, cumin seeds and shallots, sautéing 5 minutes or so over medium heat to toast the seeds and soften the shallots.
- Add cauliflower and salt, stirring over medium-low heat for about 7 minutes. Stir to fully heat all of the cauliflower. You aren’t browning the cauliflower but just heating it thoroughly and allowing it to soften.
- Add red bell pepper and dried apricots. Remove from heat. Let cool for about 20 minutes.
- Whisk together lemon juice and zest, apple cider vinegar (start with 2 tablespoons adding more if needed), honey, cinnamon, coriander and smoked paprika. Pour over cauliflower along with parsley and mint. Toss all together. Top with toasted nuts.
Optional additions: chickpeas, feta, a pinch of cayenne
Add more veggies! Diced carrots, zucchini, green bell pepper.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
Keywords: cauliflower rice, moroccan cauliflower rice, cauliflower couscous, moroccan cauliflower couscous, gluten-free couscous