A simple Mexican Papaya Salad (using ripe papaya) with cucumber, red onions, jalapeño, and optional toasted coconut, served over greens with a delicious Cilantro Lime Dressing. Vegan and Gluten-free.
Humility is not thinking less of yourself, humility is thinking about yourself less. Caroline McHugh.
It wasn’t until my friend Tonia told me to squeeze lime over ripe Papaya, that I fell in love with it. That moment really changed everything for me. It was like all the mild subtle flavors came alive and I’ve been hooked ever since.
Here’s a simple Mexican Papaya Salad that highlights this amazing fruit in its ripe form. (If you are looking for a Thai-style Papaya Salad using green, unripe papaya, make sure try this Bangkok Papaya Salad.)
Light and delicious, the Cilantro Lime Dressing is one you’ll find other uses for too.
It starts with 1/2 of a large ripe papaya.
Scoop out the seeds and peel the skin.
I use a veggie peeler here.
Slice the papaya into small pieces.
At the same time, if you are sensitive to red onions, soak them in salted water, to remove the bite.
Make a foundation for the salad, using a couple of handfuls of your favorite salad greens. If you’ve been here a while, you’ll notice I always seem to have arugula on hand. Toss in some cabbage if you like, the purple is really pretty here.
Then begin layering. You can make it to this point ahead, then refrigerate before tossing and serving.
Make the simple Cilantro lime dressing.
When ready to serve, spoon the dressing over top and garnish with cilantro, Toasted coconut if you like and thinly sliced jalapenos- also optional.
I love how simple and healthy this salad is! I think you will too.
Give the Mexican Papaya Salad a try and let us know what you think in the comments below!!!
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2–3 large handfuls arugula (or other salad greens, or add some shredded cabbage)
- 1/2 large ripe papaya, cubed (about 3–4 cups)
- 1–2 small Turkish cucumbers, sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut, optional
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced jalapeno (optional)
Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- If sensitive to onions, or to remove their “bite”, soak thinly sliced onions in salted water while you make the salad. ( 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup water)
- Halve, seed, peel and cube one half of the papaya, saving the other half for another use. You should have 3-4 cups of 3/4 inch cubes.
- Place the greens in a large, wide, serving bowl or on a large platter. Toss with 1/2 of the onions.
- Place the papaya on top of the greens.
- Slice the cucumber and scatter over the papaya along with remaining onions. (At this point, you could refrigerate and serve later that evening.)
- Make the Cilantro Lime Dressing mixing all ingredients together in a small bowl or jar. (Spoon it over the salad right before serving, gently tossing.)
- Sprinkle with cilantro leaves, optional jalapeno and toasted coconut.
- Taste, add more lime if you like.
Avocado is also a nice addition.
Keywords: papaya salad, papaya salad with ripe papaya, ripe papaya salad, Mexican papaya salad, papaya salad recipe, papaya salad not thai