A simple Mexican Papaya Salad using ripe papaya with cucumber, red onions, jalapeño over greens with a Cilantro Lime Dressing. Easy and delicious, Vegan, and Gluten-free. Serve grilled chicken or fish, Mexican Tofu or sliced avocado.
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2–3 large handfuls arugula (or other salad greens, or add some shredded cabbage)
- 1/2 large ripe papaya, cubed (about 3–4 cups)
- 1–2 small Turkish cucumbers, sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut, optional
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced jalapeno (optional)
Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- If sensitive to onions, or to remove their “bite”, soak thinly sliced onions in salted water while you make the salad. ( 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup water)
- Halve, seed, peel and cube one half of the papaya, saving the other half for another use. You should have 3-4 cups of 3/4 inch cubes.
- Place the greens in a large, wide, serving bowl or on a large platter. Toss with 1/2 of the onions.
- Place the papaya on top of the greens.
- Slice the cucumber and scatter over the papaya along with remaining onions. (At this point, you could refrigerate and serve later that evening.)
- Make the Cilantro Lime Dressing mixing all ingredients together in a small bowl or jar. (Spoon it over the salad right before serving, gently tossing.)
- Sprinkle with cilantro leaves, optional jalapeno and toasted coconut.
- Taste, add more lime if you like.
Avocado is also a nice addition.
Keywords: papaya salad, papaya salad with ripe papaya, ripe papaya salad, Mexican papaya salad, papaya salad recipe, papaya salad not thai