This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Who doesn’t love a big green salad? This Swiss Chard Salad was inspired by my friend Neicy who first introduced me to raw chard in one of her salads. Before then, I was a little skeptical of eating chard in its raw state. But I fell in love with chard’s earthy, salty, tangy flavor and juicy crunch- plus its ability to hold up well in salads, sturdy enough for leftovers the next day.
What I love about this salad
How adaptable it is! Add hearty chickpeas or grilled chicken to turn this Swiss Chard Salad into a main course salad. Keep it vegan or add crumbled goat cheese or feta for extra richness. Swiss Chard loves to be paired with lemony dressings and this one is as simple as they come.
Swiss Chard Salad Ingredeints
Use young rainbow chard or regular chard for the least bitterness. The more mature the leaves, the more bitter they can be.
Add crunchy veggies: radishes, salad turnips, cucumbers, sweet peppers, summer tomatoes, or red onion.
How to make Swiss Chard Salad
- Wash the swiss chard leaves leaves and either chop them or tear them. Cut the stems very finely.
- Place in a large bowl with the rest of the salad ingredients.
- Make the simple lemony dressing and toss to combine!
- Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds, optional cheese and sprouts.
Such a tasty healthy salad.
More Green salads you may enjoy:
- Kale Salad
- Pear Salad with Vanilla Fig Dressing
- Watercress Salad with Orange, Avocado & Red Onion
- Little Gem Wedge Salad
- Rainbow Salad
Mediterranean Swiss Chard Salad, packed with summer veggies, chickpeas, olives and optional goat cheese, tossed in a lemon dressing. Vegan-adaptable.
- 4–6 cups shredded young chard, cut or torn into small pieces
- 1 red pepper – thinly sliced
- 4 radishes- thinly sliced ( or sub-grated carrots or beets)
- 1 cup English cucumber – sliced ( or try shaved fennel)
- 6 cherry tomatoes- cut in half
- 1 avocado- sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives– optional
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (optional)
- 1 cup chopped Italian parsley ( or sub-half cilantro, basil or mint)
- 1/4 cup toasted pepitas (or slivered almonds)
- optional sprouts
- optional crumbled goat cheese or feta
- Place all the salad ingredients in a large bowl ( Either in separate ingredients into small piles over the greens, or toss all.
- Whisk lemon dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Dress the salad and toss- you may not need all the dressing.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, taste and adjust salt and lemon to taste, adding more if necessary.
- Sprinkle with nuts or seeds and optional crumbled cheese and sprouts.
Chard varies greatly in flavor, salt level and bitterness, so tasting after tossing is important, then you can adjust depending on variety. Feel free to sub or incorporate other greens.
- Serving Size: 1 ½ cups
- Calories: 332
- Sugar: 12.3 g
- Sodium: 335.6 mg
- Fat: 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.3 g
- Fiber: 11.5 g
- Protein: 8.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Swiss chard salad, Swiss chard salad recipe, how to make salad with Swiss chard, chard salad, Swiss chard recipes,