This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Give your meals a punch of flavor with Italian Salsa Verde! This flavorful herby green sauce has delicious depth of flavor from anchovies & capers. Perfectly paried with fish, veggies, or meat.
Its flavor is bright and tangy with delicious umami depth from the anchovies and capers.
What you’ll need
- Olive Oil– use a good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Anchovies- give depth here. Start conservatively, add more to taste. Vegans can leave it out and add more capers or 1-2 teaspoons of miso paste.
- Parsley– Traditionally, flat-leaf parsley is used, but feel free to add mint, basil or cilantro.
- Capers– Use capers in saltwater brine or capers packed in salt- either will work.
How to Make Italian Salsa Verde
I like to leave the capers whole- up to you.
Ways to Serve it!
- Serve over Grilled Branzino or Baked Cod
- Serve or grilled chicken or Grilled Steak
- Serve over cauliflower steaks, cabbage steaks or Roasted Romanesco Broccoli
- Spoon over Grilled Veggies or Roasted Veggies
- Toss with Pasta and create a delicious Italian Pasta Salad
Mexican Salsa Verde is made with tomatillos, cilantro, fresh green chilies and lime. Italian Salsa Verde has an olive oil base with fresh parsley, anchovies, capers, and garlic and lemon.
Yes, leave out the anchovies and add a couple of teaspoons of miso paste.
Though pesto and Italian salsa verde both originate from Italy, and look similar in appearance, they are different in flavor. Pesto is made with basil and parmesan, while Salsa Verde is made with parsley, anchovies and capers.
Italian Salsa Verde is punchy, vibrant and herbaceous with a delicious depth of flavor from anchovies and capers. Tastes great on grilled or roasted fish, veggies, or meat.
- 1–2 anchovies, optional; see notes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup Italian Parsley- packed, (feel free to sub 1/2 basil, mint or cilantro)
- 2–3 tablespoons capers (and 1 tablespoon caper brine, optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or add to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes, optional, more to taste
Place anchovies, garlic olive oil, and lemon juice in a food processer, or use an immersion blender, and blend until well combined. Add lemon zest and fresh parsley and pulse repeatedly until combined but not too smooth.
Stir in the capers.
Add salt, pepper and chili flakes to taste. You want it to taste slightly salty.
Vegan: Leave out the anchovies and add 2 teaspoons miso paste, for added depth.
This will keep up to 5 days in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
- Calories: 64
- Sugar: 0.1 g
- Sodium: 73 mg
- Fat: 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 0.7 g
- Fiber: 0.2 g
- Protein: 0.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0.2 mg
Keywords: Italian Salsa Verde, Italian salsa verde recipe, salsa verde italian