Naan Bread is an Indian flat bread, pillowy and elastic, traditionally baked in a very hot tandoor clay oven. Many people use their own oven at home, set at a vey high temperature. Because I like to keep heat outside of the house in summer, I tried something different and fired up the grill. And it worked great. You could also use a heavy duty grill pan on your stove top.
Remember to remove the flower buds from the garlic scapes and just use the tender stems.
I also added half a Serrano Chili, for a little kick.
Spread the garlic scape chutney leaving 1/2- 1 inch space around the edges.
Sprinkle a tablespoon or more of your favorite meltable cheese- like queso fresco, mozzarella, or paneer.
Bring all the edges together and pinch.
Gently turn over and gently flatten with the palm of your hand.
Gently roll out into 6 inch disks, with the cheese and chutney inside, stacking and layering with parchment paper.
A delicious Naan Bread Recipe that is stuffed with an Indian Garlic Scape Chutney…..give it a whirl!
Grilled Naan with Garlic Scape Chutney
The BEST Grilled Naan Bread with a delicious, Indian-style, Garlic Scape Chutney! Easy, step-by step instructions, perfect every time! Full of great flavor!
- Prep Time: 90 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 mins
- Yield: 10 1x
- Category: bread
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: Indian
- 5–1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour; more as needed (optional: sub 1 Cup whole wheat)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 T kosher salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup olive oil and more for brushing.
- 1 1/2 C water
Garlic Scape Chutney:
- 3/4 cup chopped garlic scapes, tops removed (or sub Italian parsley or cilantro packed w/ 2 cloves garlic)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint packed
- 1/2 cup roasted or smoked almonds
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 jalapeño or Serrano pepper- for a little kick (optional)
- 1 T lime juice 1/3 C olive oil
Olive oil or Melted butter for brushing
1 C Melty cheese- such as mozzarella or queso fresco- optional
- Make the dough: Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. In a medium bowl, whisk the yogurt, egg and add 1-1/2 cups of lukewarm water and the oil. Mix. Pour the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture and mix on low speed until a soft, sticky dough starts to clump around the hook, about 5 minutes. If the dough seems too wet, add more flour, 1 tsp. at a time.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and dust lightly with flour. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide it into 10 equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball and arrange them on the baking sheet. Lightly brush the dough with oil, cover with plastic, and let sit 1 hour before shaping.
- Make the chutney: Place all the chutney ingredients in a food processor and pulse until uniformly granular.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll a dough ball into a 5-inch circle. Spread 1 T of the chutney in the center, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cheese over the chutney. Gather the borders to form a pouch (see picture) pinching it to seal in the filling. Turn the pouch pinched side down and, using very light pressure, roll it into a 6-inch circle. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Layer rolled out naan with parchment until ready to grill.
- Prepare a medium charcoal or gas grill fire and wipe grates with a lightly oiled paper towel. Grill the breads in batches pinched side down, covered, until they puff up and the undersides brown lightly in places, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn over and cook the other side, covered, until grill marks form and the breads are cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Just before taking them off the grill, turn the breads pinched side down and brush lightly with butter or olive oil. Serve warm.
- These are best, right off the grill but leftovers can be refrigerated and saved for another time. Just place them in a toaster or warm oven before serving.
- Calories: 386
Keywords: baked naan, naan recipe, best naan recipe, stuffed naan, stuffed naan bread, naan recipes, garlic scape recipes, chutney recipes