These healthy vegan Rice Crispy Treats are made with puffed 7-grain cereal, almond butter, ground cacao powder and a boatload of seeds- chia, sunflower and pumpkin. A delicious, VEGAN, chocolatey fix, full of nutritious ingredients.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.
― Joseph Campbell
Most days, I really don’t have much of a sweet tooth, that is until 9 pm rolls around! Then, all I want is chocolate. Usually, a piece of good dark chocolate will suffice, but sometimes what I really crave is a little crunch and texture. My mouth is bored and wants to crunch on something. These healthier, vegan Rice Crispy Treats are just the ticket. Not overly sweet, with the right amount of texture and crunch.
A while back my friend Jill introduced me to something similar when she made a batch of Sarah B’s Hemp Crispy Treats, and had them sitting on her kitchen counter. Oh boy! This is how it all started.
This version is made with puffed, 7 grain cereal that is toasted to make them extra crispy, then tossed with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and chia seeds and mixed with melted organic almond butter, a little sweetener and cacao powder, and voila!
The tastiest, crunchiest, cacao-infused crispy treats. And to me, one square is just the perfect amount.
How to make healthier Rice Crispy Treats?
Yes, it really is possible to make America’s favorite treat, healthier, vegan and packed full of nutrients.
- Use puffed whole-grain cereal. Today we are using 7-grain.
- Swap out butter and use coconut oil to keep it vegan.
- Add protein- add almond butter (which will reduce the glucose spike)
- Add Omega-3 rich seeds- pumpkin and sunflower seeds to help support hormones.
- Add fiber! Chia seeds are a great source of fiber.
- Add cocoa powder for a huge boost of polyphenols.
- Use maple syrup, and just a little, to lower the glycemic load.
TIP: The key to getting these nice and crispy is to toast the cereal beforehand, for added crunch.
Then pat it down firm in a baking dish and refrigerate, letting firm up.
Cut into 2 inch squares and store in the fridge for any late-night emergencies, or afternoon pick-me-ups.
These vegan Rice Crispy Treats are so nutty and crunchy… and keep for 2 weeks in the fridge!
Hope you enjoy these healthier, Vegan Rice Crispy Treats!
More recipes you may like:
- Vegan Energy Balls with Masala Spice
- Vegan Oatmeal Cookies with Chai-Soaked Raisins
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cashew Ginger Chocolate Bark
- Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies with Hazelnuts
- The BEST Vegan Breakfast Cookies
- Chocolate Sesame Cookies
Healthy vegan Rice Crispy Treats are made with puffed 7-grain cereal, almond butter, found cacao powder and a boatload of healthy omega 3-powered seeds- chia, sunflower and pumpkin seeds. A delicious chocolatey fix, full of nutritious ingredients.
- 1 cup puffed cereal ( puffed brown rice or puffed 7 grain cereal)
- ½ cup sunflower seeds ( or slivered almonds)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- ⅛ cup chia seeds
- ⅛ cup hemp seeds (or sub other seeds like more sunflower or pumpkin)
- ½ cup Almond butter (or peanut butter)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, honey (not vegan) agave or brown rice syrup
- 3 heaping tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- generous pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons Cacao powder
- pinch cinnamon
Toast the puffed cereal, pumpkin and sunflower seeds in a 375 F oven until crispy, about 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. Place in a bowl along with other seeds.
Heat the almond butter, maple (or other sweetener),coconut oil, vanilla and salt in a small pot until melted and well combined. Turn heat off , then stir in cacao powder and cinnamon and quickly pour over the cereal seed mixture and mix well.
Toasting the puffed cereal beforehand ensures a nice crispy texture.
- Serving Size: 2 inch square
- Calories: 156
- Sugar: 4.8 g
- Sodium: 19.9 mg
- Fat: 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.1 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: rice crispy treats, healthy rice crispy treats, vegan rice crispy treats, cacao crispy treats,