Lightly sweetened chewy Vegan Oatmeal Cookies with Chai-Soaked Raisins. Irresistible and delicious!
These addicting Vegan Oatmeal Cookies with chai-soaked raisins remind me of the classics my grandma would make. She had this sweet little oatmeal cookie recipe plaque hanging in her kitchen. Every time we came to visit, oatmeal cookies among many other treats would be stacked on the counters. She lived for our visits. Nurturing with food was definitely her love language. Memories of being in my grandma’s kitchen fill me up with all the tenderness and love she generously bestowed.
This recipe for Vegan Oatmeal Cookies is a bit healthier than the version on my grandmother’s plaque. They are not overly sweet (add more sugar if you want!). A little molasses deepens the flavor without overpowering. Flax seeds bind them together and adds wholesome nutrition. The chai-soaked raisins add sweet-spicy flavor and contribute to their moist and tender crumb. Just a warning these cookies are really easy to eat!!
Ingredients in Vegan Oatmeal Cookies
- raisins or currants
- chai tea bag (or sub other tea, rum, juice or water)
- baking soda
- coconut oil or vegan butter or regular unsalted butter
- flax egg
- rolled oats ( medium oats for extra chewy)
- Soak the raisins! Plumping up the raisins (or currants) will make your cookies moister and add a nice hint of flavor. You can use tea, rum, juice or even water. The longer you soak them the more flavor they will soak up. Overnight is great but 10 minutes works too.
- For a softer texture use quick-cooking oats.
- For a little extra chewiness use medium oats.
How to make Vegan Oatmeal Cookies
Soak the raisins. Soaking them a couple of hours or overnight is optimal to absorb flavor but even 20 minutes will hot liquid is good. Chai gives such perfect flavor, but juice or water works well too.
Mix in oats and flour mixture.
Drain raisins and add to the dough.
Scoop out onto a tray and bake the oatmeal cookies at 350F for 11-13 minutes.
Variations on Vegan Oatmeal Cookies
- Add toasted nuts or seeds.
- Swap out raisins for currants.
- Add toasted coconut.
- Add chocolate chips.
More cookie recipes you may enjoy:
Treat yourself to these wholesome delicious Vegan Oatmeal Cookies! They hold up great and are perfect for sharing at gatherings or freeze some for later.
Lightly sweetened chewy Vegan Oatmeal Cookies with Chai Soaked Raisins. Irresistible and delicious!
- 1/2 cup raisins or currants
- 1 chai tea bag
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax seeds mixed with 2 1/2 tablespoons water) or use 1 regular egg
- 1 cup, 125 grams, flour
- 1 1/2 cup quick or medium rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup coconut oil or vegan butter or regular unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar (add another 1/4 cup if you like a sweeter cookie)
- Steep tea in hot water for 5 minutes, add raisins and set aside. (Do this several hours ahead or overnight for more flavor absorption.)
- Mix together flour, oats, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and sea salt. Set aside.
- Cream together softened coconut oil, molasses, vanilla, sugar, and flax egg.
- Mix in oat and flour mixture.
- Drain the liquid off of the raisins and mix them into the dough.
- Scoop out 1-ounce cookies onto a tray and bake at 350F for 11-13 minutes.
Flax egg: mix together 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds and 2.5 tablespoons water.
Try different flavors of tea- earl grey, ginger, rooibos are nice.
For a softer texture use quick cooking oats. For a little extra chewiness use medium oats.
They hold well for 4 days in an air tight container on the counter. They also freeze great.
Keywords: vegan oatmeal cookies, oatmeal cookies, vegan oatmeal cookies healthy, chewy oatmeal cookies, vegan oatmeal cookies no butter, vegan chewy oatmeal cookies