Lightly sweetened chewy Vegan Oatmeal Cookies with Chai Soaked Raisins. Irresistible and delicious!
- 1/2 cup raisins or currants
- 1 chai tea bag
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax seeds mixed with 2 1/2 tablespoons water) or use 1 regular egg
- 1 cup, 125 grams, flour
- 1 1/2 cup quick or medium rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup coconut oil or vegan butter or regular unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar (add another 1/4 cup if you like a sweeter cookie)
- Steep tea in hot water for 5 minutes, add raisins and set aside. (Do this several hours ahead or overnight for more flavor absorption.)
- Mix together flour, oats, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and sea salt. Set aside.
- Cream together softened coconut oil, molasses, vanilla, sugar, and flax egg.
- Mix in oat and flour mixture.
- Drain the liquid off of the raisins and mix them into the dough.
- Scoop out 1-ounce cookies onto a tray and bake at 350F for 11-13 minutes.
Flax egg: mix together 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds and 2.5 tablespoons water.
Try different flavors of tea- earl grey, ginger, rooibos are nice.
For a softer texture use quick cooking oats. For a little extra chewiness use medium oats.
They hold well for 4 days in an air tight container on the counter. They also freeze great.
Keywords: vegan oatmeal cookies, oatmeal cookies, vegan oatmeal cookies healthy, chewy oatmeal cookies, vegan oatmeal cookies no butter, vegan chewy oatmeal cookies