These chewy Ginger Cookies contain ginger in three different forms. Fresh grated ginger, ground ginger, and most importantly, candied ginger- which gives the cookies their flavorful and chewy punch. These cookies are perhaps more for the “adult” palate…containing white pepper and cardamom.
Triple Ginger Cookies | 60-sec Video
What You’ll Need
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- spices: ground cinnamon, ground cloves, fresh or ground nutmeg, ground cardamom, white pepper , ground ginger
- kosher salt
- dark brown sugar,
- coconut oil, butter or use olive oil
- extra-large egg
- fresh ginger
- crystallized or candied ginger
- Turbinado sugar – for rolling the cookies
How to make Triple Ginger Cookies
Whisk dry ingredients together.
Freshly grated nutmeg, adds to the pleasure of baking.
Mix wet ingredients together
Add the grated ginger and candied ginger.
Freshly grated ginger, gives the cookies a little more “bite”.
And lastly, candied ginger gives even more heat while adding a chewiness. Chop or pulse in a food processor.
Lastly, mix dry ingredients into wet mixture on a lower speed, yielding a firm dough.
Roll the dough
Dough can either be rolled into little balls and flattened, and dipped in turbinado sugar.
Turbinado Sugar– or sugar in the raw- is golden-hued and gives the cookies a nice sparkle.
Or make a 1 1/2- inch log – wrap and refrigerate, and slice off perfect little discs. Roll and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
Bake for 11-13 minutes depending on the size of the cookie. They will expand, crackle and become golden brown.
More cookies recipes to enjoy:
Chewy Triple Ginger Cookies, with three kinds of ginger- ground ginger, fresh raw ginger and candied ginger!
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper ( optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil, butter or use olive oil
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 extra-large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated finely
- 1 1/4 cups crystallized or candied ginger (6 ounces) – chopped small (or use food processor and pulse)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Turbinado sugar ( sugar in the raw) for rolling the cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, spices ( cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, white pepper, ground ginger) and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the brown sugar, melted butter ( or oil), and molasses on medium speed for 2-3 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides. Beat another 2-3 minutes. Turn the mixer to low speed, add the egg, and beat for 1 minute.
- Add freshly grated ginger and candied ginger, scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure all is incorporated. Beat for another couple of minutes.
- With the mixer still on low, gradually add the flour to the bowl and mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes. The mixture will be quite firm but should incorporate all the flour.
- Either roll dough into 1 1/2-inch ball and then flatten them lightly with your fingers coating them with turbinado sugar, and place on parchment-lined sheet pans. (Or alternately, roll into an l ½ diameter log, wrap in parchment and refrigerate, unit firm, about 1-2 hours.
- Slice off equal-sized disks. Roll in raw sugar.)
- Bake for 11-13 minutes. The cookies will be crackled on the top and soft inside. Let the cookies cool on the sheets for 1 to 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Dough can be made ahead, frozen in a log, thawed, sliced and baked.
- Calories: 125
Keywords: ginger cookie, triple ginger cooky, spicy ginger cookie, chewy ginger cookie, ginger molasses cookie