This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Thumbprint Cookies are a perfect treat for the holidays. A melt in your mouth rustic thumbprint cookie with rye, toasty walnuts, cardamom and tangy apricot jam- a perfect balance of flavors, decadent and lightly sweet with a satisfying crunch.
You are loved just for being who you are, just for existing. ~Ram Dass
Thumbprint Cookies are a classic favorite. Here they are enhanced with rye flour, giving the cookie earthy undertones, which pairs perfectly with cardamom, toasty walnuts, and tart apricot jam. These rustic little gems are like mini fruit tarts; plus rye flour is full of nutrition, so you can eat more. 😉
Gather your ingredients.
We use the food processor to mix the dough for easy one bowl clean up.
Start with grinding the walnuts.
You want the walnuts finely ground (being careful not to turn them into butter).
Set walnuts aside. No need to clean out the container. Add all the dry ingredients.
Pulse butter into the dry mix.
Pulse until dough comes together.
Roll into a log, cut into 1/2 inch chunks, and roll into balls.
Dipping the dough into egg whites will help the nuts adhere.
Just coat the top half and set on tray.
Use your thumb or end of a wooden spoon or other kitchen tool to create a depression in the cookie.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes and then into a preheated oven.
Remove from the oven and press down the center of the cookie again and fill with jam. Put back into the oven to finish baking.
Hope you enjoy these rustic Thumbprint Cookies!
Take good care,
More recipes you may like:
- Spicy Chai Molasses Cookies
- Chewy Triple Ginger Cookies
- Rustic Pear Galette with Walnut Crust
- Chai-Spiced Pecan Torte
- Perfect Shortbread Cookies
- Preheat oven to 335 degrees.
- Grinds nuts in food processor.
- Remove from processor and set aside 1/2 cup to add to batter later and the rest in a bowl for coating the cookie.
- Add rye flour, AP flour, cardamom, salt, and sugar into the food processor. Pulse a few times to mix.
- Add butter, pulse to cut the butter into the flour mixture.
- Add in 1/2 cup of the ground walnuts.
- Whisk together vanilla and egg yolk. Add and pulse in the processor until dough is combined.
- Roll dough into a log about 1-inch diameter, slice into 1/2 inch pieces and shape into balls.
- Whisk together egg whites with 1 tablespoon of water. Dip the top half of the dough ball into the egg whites and then into the ground nuts. Set nut side up on a baking tray.
- Press divots into the cookie ball with your thumb. Place the tray in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 335 for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, you may need to lightly press into divot again. Fill with apricot jam.
- Bake for 10 minutes more.
Best eaten in 2 days.
Freeze the unbaked dough balls up to 3 months. Or freeze the baked cookie up to a month in a sealed container.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 162
- Sugar: 6.3 g
- Sodium: 50.2 mg
- Fat: 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.4 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 30.7 mg
Keywords: thumbprint cookies, thumbprint cookie recipe, thumbprint cookies apricot jam