There are things known and things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception.~ A. Huxley
This simple Blackberry Basil Salad is a snap to make and so refreshing and vibrant- perfect for summer! Spinach or arugula is tossed with juicy plump blackberries, basil leaves and toasted slivered almonds.
I love adding crumbled goat cheese, but feel free to keep it vegan.
The balsamic vinaigrette is basic and straight forward.
All in all, a very a simple salad, hardly warranting a recipe – but here to inspire you to try adding different fresh and beautiful things to your daily salad bowl.
The earth is bursting with them!
Along with all the summer berries coming into season, are chive and onion blossoms. So pretty….and these too can be easily incorporated into salads.
Here, onion blossoms are scattered over the salad.
The salad can be served in a large serving bowl, or individually plated for a more upscale affair (see below).
Finish the plate with a balsamic glaze or syrup. Scatter chive or onion blossoms around the plate along with the slivered onions.
Either way, it will be pretty….. and delicious!
A summery salad with fresh blackberries, arugula, basil, and goat cheese with a simple balsamic vinaigrette
- 5 ounces baby arugula (or spinach)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1–2 cups fresh blackberries
- ⅓ cup crumbled goat cheese
- ¼–1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds (or sub maple pecans)
- ¼ cup basil leaves- torn
- 1 tablespoon chive or onion blossoms (optional)
- Make dressing- mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, place arugula, basil and onions. Toss with just enough dressing to lightly coat ( You may not need all).
- Place dressed greens onto a platter or divide onto plates. Top with blackberries, goat cheese, a few basil leaves, almonds and blossoms.
- Serve immediately.
Feel free to assemble the salad ahead, refrigerate and toss with the dressing right before serving.
- Calories: 251
Keywords: blackberry salad, blackberry arugula salad, blackberry basil salad