There are things known and things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception.
This EASY and DELICIOUS Blackberry Basil Salad is a snap to make and so refreshing and vibrant- perfect for summer! Spinach or arugula is tossed with juicy plump blackberries, basil leaves and toasted slivered almonds. I love adding goat cheese, but feel free to keep it vegan, or try feta or insalata ricotta. The balsamic vinaigrette is basic and strait forward. All in all, a very a simple salad, hardly warranting a recipe – but here to inspire you to try adding different fresh and beautiful things to your daily salad bowl. The earth is bursting with them!
Along with all the summer berries coming into season, are chive and onion blossoms. So pretty….and these too can be easily incorporated into salads.
Here, onion blossoms are scattered over the salad.
And speaking of blossoms –tis’ the season! Wild roses are blooming here and if any of you know of a good spot to forage for them, this recipe for wild rose jam is worth every wild petal you pluck. It’s a soul warming recipe, one I think you will fall in love with.
The salad can be served in a large serving bowl, or individually plated for a more upscale affair (see below).
Finish the plate with a balsamic glaze or syrup. Scatter chive or onion blossoms around the plate along with the slivered onions.
Either way, it will be pretty….. and delicious!
Blackberry Basil Salad
A summery salad with fresh blackberries, basil, and goat cheese with a simple balsamic vinaigrette
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Northwest
- 6–8 ounces Baby Spinach or Arugula
- ¼ C thinly sliced red onion
- 1–2 C fresh blackberries
- ⅓ C crumbled goat cheese (optional- or use feta, insalada ricotta)
- ¼ C toasted slivered almonds
- ¼ C basil leaves- torn
- 1 T chive or onion blossoms ( optional)
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
- ¼ C olive oil
- ⅛ C balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt and pepper
- 1 T honey
- Make dressing- mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, place spinach, basil and onions. Toss with just enough dressing to lightly coat ( You may not need all). Place dressed greens onto a platter or divide onto plates. Top with blackberries, goat cheese,a few basil leaves, almonds and blossoms.