This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
There are things known and things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception.~ A. Huxley
This simple Blackberry Salad with Arugula and Basil is a snap to make and so refreshing and vibrant- perfect for summer! Spinach or arugula is tossed with juicy plump blackberries, basil leaves and toasted slivered almonds. I love adding crumbled goat cheese, but feel free to keep it vegan. The maple-sweetened balsamic vinaigrette is basic and straightforward.
All in all, a very simple salad, hardly warranting a recipe – but here to inspire you to try adding different fresh and beautiful things to your daily salad bowl.
The earth is bursting with them!
What you’ll need:
- fresh blackberries
- Arugula or spinach
- Slivered Almonds
- goat cheese or chevre
- red onion
- olive oil
- maple syrup
- salt and pepper
How to Serve Blackberry Salad:
The salad can be served in a large serving bowl, or individually plated for a more upscale affair (see below).
If plating, finish the plate with a balsamic glaze or balsamic syrup. Scatter chive or onion blossoms around the plate along with the slivered onions.
More summer salads you may like:
- Fig and Arugula Salad, w/ Goat Cheese & Pecans
- Peach Panzanella Salad with Fennel and Arugula
- Indian Spinach Salad with Lentils & Cauliflower
- Radicchio Salad with Asian Pear & Walnuts
- Mexican Papaya Salad
- Classic Greek Salad
- 5 ounces baby arugula (or spinach)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1–2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4–1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds (or sub maple pecans)
- 1/4 cup basil leaves- torn ( purple basil is pretty here!)
- optional: 1 tablespoon fresh chive or onion blossoms
- Make the dressing- whisk all ingredients in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, place arugula, basil and onions. Toss with just enough dressing to lightly coat ( you may not need all). Feel free to add the remaining ingredients and toss or plate individual portions.
- If plating: place the dressed greens onto plates. Top with blackberries, goat cheese, a few basil leaves, almonds and blossoms.
- Add a drizzle of balsamic glaze– optional.
- Serve immediately!
Feel free to assemble the salad ahead, refrigerate and toss with the dressing right before serving.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 232
- Sugar: 7.6 g
- Sodium: 366.6 mg
- Fat: 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.4 g
- Fiber: 4.7 g
- Protein: 6.2 g
- Cholesterol: 6.5 mg
Keywords: blackberry salad, blackberry arugula salad, blackberry basil salad