Simple Jicama Mango Slaw with Cilantro and Lime – a quick healthy summer salad, refreshing and light, perfect with grilled fish or seafood.
Jicama Mango Slaw with Cilantro and Lime – a quick healthy detoxing summer salad is refreshing and light and delicious with grilled fish or seafood, or my favorite, these Pineapple Chipotle Shrimp Skewers. If you have a Cuisinart with a grater attachment, it is especially easy and literally can be made in 15 minutes. Hand grating takes a little longer, but it’s totally doable and I’ve done it both ways. Make sure to pick out a very very firm mango, for easier grating -a perfectly ripe mango will not work well here and will just get mushy. Green mangos are great too … see the notes in the recipe.
Also know this recipe makes quite a bit of salad, so unless you are having a large gathering think about halving it, or serve it throughout the week, leaving the dressing on the separate and on the side and dressing only what you want to eat in one sitting.
Life is good here. Catering, kayaking, camping, trying to live a more balanced life with work and play. And you know what? For the first summer in ages, I feel really good. Not overwhelmed. Not stressed. Not tired.
Sun-kissed and relaxed.
Here’s wishin’ the same for you. xo
A simple tasty recipe for Jiama Mango Slaw with Orange, Lime and Cilantro
- 1 large jicama – 2 pounds
- 1 extra large very firm or green mango
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion ( or sub 4 scallions, sliced)
- ½ a jalapeno- finely chopped ( optional, and more to taste)
- ¼– ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime- juice and zest ( about ⅛ cup)
- ½ an orange juice ( about ⅛ cup)
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and grate jicama in a cuisinart with grater attachment or use a box grater.
- Peel and grate mango, same as above.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl, toss, adjust seasonings.
- If using a very green mango, consider adding a little sugar, to balance lime.