This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
A Plum Salad with Jicama, Cucumber and Shiso leaves. Crunchy, refreshing and light, it’s deliciously cooling on and hot summer’s day! Vegan and GF.
The heart is a thousand-stringed instrument that can only be tuned with love. ~ Hafiz
This Plum Salad is fresh, crunchy, and has a lovely sweet tang balance thanks to the addition of Plum Shrub for the dressing! I have been making shrubs for a few years now. Up until now, I have used the shrubs mainly in drinks.
I got to thinking about what else could be enhanced by the fruity vinegar harmony. I decided to try it as a salad dressing and the result is so good! The flavors are bright with a little nod to Japanese cuisine.
The jalapeño adds a nice kick that balances the fruity sweetness but is totally optional. The fresh herbs make it all come alive.
This salad pairs well with fish, chicken, tofu, rice and lends a nice twist to Asian meals.
What you’ll need:
- Plums, cucumbers and jicama.
- A Shrub: You can make this plum shrub, or sub-Rice vinegar and sugar.
- Shiso leaves: or sub fresh basil
How to make Plum Salad
Start by cutting the jicama into matchsticks. You could also sub salad turnips, radishes or even kohlrabi! Anything crunchy!
Slice the cucumber into half moons.
Chop the ginger and herbs and slice the plums.
Add everything to a bowl and except the plums and toss with the flavorful shrub ( or sub rice vinegar and sugar) , letting this marinate for a few minutes.
Then top the salad with the beautiful summer plums.
Hope you enjoy this refreshing Plum Salad created by Tonia, featuring a homemade Shrub Dressing!
Have a delicious weekend.
More recipes you may like:
- How to Make a Shrub
- Watermelon Salad with Cucumber, Scallions and Shiso
- Five-Spice Chicken with Roasted Plum Sauce
- Plum Galette with Buckwheat Crust
- Roasted Chinese Plum Sauce
- Seared Duck Breast with Roasted Plums
A light and refreshing Plum Salad with cucumber, jicama and a flavorful Plum Shrub dressing. A fun way to use shrubs. Delicious, vegan, and GF. (Dressing requires 24 hours on the counter.)
- 2 cups cucumber, sliced in half rounds
- 1 cup jicama, cut in thin matchsticks (or sub salad turnips or kohlrabi)
- 1/3 cup plum shiso shrub ( or see notes)
- 2 tablespoons fresh shiso, roughly chopped (or sub more basil)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh mint, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated or finely minced
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon fresh jalapeño, minced (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 fresh plums, sliced
Toss cucumber and jicama in a medium bowl with the plum shiso shrub, letting it marinate a little while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
Add the chopped herbs, ginger, jalapeño and salt. Give a gentle stir to combine.
Place in a serving bowl and add fresh plums on top.
Refrigerate until serving.
If you rather not make the shrub, substitute 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar and 3 tablespoons sugar. Add more of each to taste.
Pairs well with fish, chicken, tofu, rice and lends a nice twist to Asian meals.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 52
- Sugar: 9.2 g
- Sodium: 195.4 mg
- Fat: 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.7 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: plum salad, plum shiso salad, shiso recipes, plum jicama salad