This Warm Potato Salad with Mustard Seed Dressing, cornichons, caraway seeds and fresh baby arugula is a light and healthy way to serve up our favorite root vegetable, perfect alongside rotisserie chicken or fish. This is the time of year we all could use a break from all the holiday indulging – I know I can! Yet, because of the chill and cold I find myself seeking heartier meals. The challenge then becomes how to eat “hearty” and feel full and satisfied while eating healthy at the same time. Potatoes are my secret weapon, because on their own, they are actually loaded with nutrients and low in calories, and very filling! The problem is we love to load them up with butter and bacon and cheese. Which I admit is hard to resist sometimes – but for the sake of my heart health, I’m trying to cut back.
Recently I partnered with The US Potato Board to create a fresh, light and healthy potato recipe for the new year. To me, this Warm Potato Salad with Mustard Seed dressing fits the bill, while not compromising on flavor. Cornichons (tiny little pickles) give it a texture and tang, and toasted caraway seeds give it a unique and earthy twist. Fresh baby arugula adds extra nutrients and antioxidants and of course a delicious peppery bite. The flavors marry surprisingly well.
Serve this with rotisserie chicken or roasted salmon for a light and healthy dinner, or toss in chopped chicken breast for a low-calorie, yet filling lunch. Give it a try – I think you will like it.
The tiny potatoes are quickly blanched and then tossed with the other ingredients – so easy!
Right before serving toss in the arugula. If you don’t have whole caraway seeds, don’t fret, it’s good without, but they add the unexpected bite of surprise that elevates a dish.
Warm potato salad with mustard seed dressing, cornichons and caraway
A healthy lighted-up potato salad, perfect with roasted salmon for a light dinner, or toss in chunks of chicken breast for a satisfying lunch. (vegan and gluten free)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6
- Category: salad
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free
- 2 pounds tiny baby potatoes
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup chopped cornishons
- 4 Tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, lightly toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups baby arugula
- Blanch the potatoes in a pot of boiling water until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Chop the scallions and cornishons and place in a bowl.
- Add the blanched potatoes.
- Add the mustard, olive oil, caraway seeds and gently mix.
- Stir in the salt, pepper and arugula.
- Place in a serving bowl and serve warm or at room temp. Salad can also be served chilled.