Keep the sweet potato soup simple and wholesome like this, or play around with it, adding fresh cilantro, scallions, and popped sorghum.
Spoon a little coconut cream into the soup (it helps if you whisk it first) cut scallions into long thin strips. Finely chop cilantro. And just decorate. It’s fun!
Enjoy this Thai Sweet Potato Soup!Print
Thai Sweet Potato Soup w/ Lemongrass and Ginger
A delicious healthy recipe for Thai Sweet Potato Soup with coconut, lemongrass and ginger….light and tasty! Vegan and Gluten free!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Soup, vegan
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: Thai
- 2 large shallots (or one white onion) diced
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped lemongrass (packed) 2-3 stalks
- 1/4 cup ginger, chopped
- 1 small Serrano chili (or jalapeno for less spicy), diced
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 4 cups veggie or chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 lbs yams, peeled, cubed ( or sweet potatoes)
- 1 large carrot (for color- this is optional) peeled, sliced
- ½ cup to 1 can coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2–4 teaspoons soy sauce: to taste ( or sub fish sauce for extra depth)
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large heavy bottomed pot heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add shallot (or onion) and stir for 2 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, lemon grass, and chili, cook for 3-5 minutes, until fragrant and golden. Add spices, and stir for 1-2 more minutes. Add stock, scraping up the spices from the bottom.
- Bring to a boil and add yams and optional carrot. Simmer on low, covered, until yams are fork tender, 15-20 minutes. Let cool a bit, while you prepare your garnishes.
- Puree soup until very smooth. Either blend in small batches in a blender or use a submersion blender. Get it as smooth as you can. Return to the stove and heat on med low.
- Stir in ½ cup of coconut milk — or, if unconcerned with fat content, or a richer soup, add more, or most of the can, reserving some the harder “cream” for the garnish.
- Now it’s time to season. Add the brown sugar, 2-4 tsp soy sauce ( or fish sauce) and the lime juice. Taste. Depending on how rich and flavorful your stock is, or how much coconut milk you added, you will need to adjust the seasonings. You may need to add more depth (soy sauce) or a pinch or two of salt, or more lime, or more sugar, or more heat. Find the balance -between salt, sweet and sour and spicy. This is where you develop your own palate, which no recipe can teach. It just takes practice. 🙂 A little sriracha sauce can work miracles because it contains salt, acid, sweet along with heat and spice. But use sparingly for best results.
- Garnish with cilantro, scallions, coconut milk (whisk with a little warm water to loosen) and popped sorghum (optional) and serve with lime wedges.
Make Popped Sorghum: place 2 tablespoon sorghum grains in a small pot over medium-high heat shaking often. Pop like popcorn, removing from pan immediately so they don’t darken. Store in an air-thight container.
Keywords: sweet potato soup, sweet potato soup recipe, sweet potato soup recipes, thai sweet potato soup, yam soup thai yam soup