Keep the sweet potato soup simple and wholesome like this, or play around with it, adding fresh cilantro, scallions, and popped sorghum.
Spoon a little coconut cream into the soup (it helps if you whisk it first) cut scallions into long thin strips. Finely chop cilantro. And just decorate. It’s fun!
Thai Sweet Potato Soup w/ Lemongrass and Ginger
A delicious healthy recipe for Thai Sweet Potato Soup with coconut, lemongrass and ginger….light and tasty! Vegan and Gluten free!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Soup, vegan
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: Thai
- 2 shallots (or ½ an onion) diced
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped lemongrass (packed)
- 1/4 cup ginger, chopped
- 1 small Serrano chili (or jalapeno for less spicy), diced
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 7 cups chicken or veggie stock
- 2 lbs yams, peeled, cubed
- 1 large carrot (for color- this is optional) peeled, sliced
- ½ cup to 1 can coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2–4 teaspoons soy sauce: to taste
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cilantro, coconut milk, scallions, popped Sorghum grains, Sriracha Sauce and lime wedges.
- In a large heavy bottomed pot heat coconut oil over medium high heat. Add shallot (or onion) and stir for 2 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, lemon grass, and chili, turn heat to medium and cook for 3-5 minutes, until fragrant and golden. Add spices, and stir for 1-2 more minutes. Add stock.
- Bring to a boil and add yams and optional carrot. Simmer uncovered until yams are fork tender, 15-20 minutes. Let cool a bit, while you prepare your garnishes.
- Puree soup until very smooth. Either blend in small batches in a blender or use a submersion blender. Get it as smooth as you can. Return to the stove and heat on med low.
- Stir in ½ cup of coconut milk — or, if unconcerned with fat content, or a richer soup, add more, or most of the can, reserving some the harder “cream” for the garnish.
- Now it’s time to season. Add the brown sugar, 2 tsp soy sauce and the lime juice. Taste. Depending on how rich and flavorful your stock is, or how much coconut milk you added, you will need to adjust the seasonings. You may need to add more depth (soy sauce) or a pinch or two of salt, or more lime, or more sugar, or more heat.
- There is a balance to find here, between salt, sweet and sour and spicy. Find it. This is where you develop your own palate, which no recipe can teach. It just takes practice. Find the balance. Play, add, taste. Add again. Taste.
- A little sriracha sauce can work miracles because it contains salt, acid, sweet along with heat and spice. But use sparingly for best results.
- Garnish with cilantro, scallions, coconut milk (whisk with a little warm water to loosen) and popped sorghum (optional) and serve with lime wedges.
Keywords: sweet potato soup, sweet potato soup recipe, sweet potato soup recipes, thai sweet potato soup, yam soup thai yam soup