A delicious recipe for an Apple Cider Vinegar Drink (also called a Switchel) plus 10 advantages of drinking this gut-healing, probiotic drink on a daily basis!
This Apple Cider Vinegar Drink has been a godsend in my life. Starting in 2011, I’ve been drinking this daily, usually first thing in the morning. It helps with digestion, energy, weight maintenance, and immunity – supporting the gut with healthy probiotics. Like all things, try it and see how your body feels!
Ingredients in Apple Cider Vinegar Drink
- Unfiltered Apple cider vinegar (with the mother in it) Use vinegar that is not filtered or heated (pasteurized), so the healthy living bacteria are preserved and kept alive to do their healing!
- Filtered Water or Mineral water
- Sweetener: Maple syrup, honey, molasses, monk fruit, honey or liquid stevia (all optional)
- Pinch of sea salt (for added minerals!)
- Optional additions: lemon juice, ginger ( fresh ginger or ground), cinnamon, cayenne pepper, turmeric.
What time of day is apple cider vinegar most effective?
Enjoy the Apple Cider Vinegar Drink in the morning to aid the liver in cleansing or as a natual, gentle laxitive, or drink in the afternoon for an energizing pick-me-up between meal, or drink before or after dinner to help regulate glucose levels and boost digestion.
You can drinnk the 16 ounce glass in one shot, or divide it throughout the day.
Apple cider vinegar drink Benefits
- Apple cider vinegar for weight loss: According to recent research, drinking 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar ( 30 ml) daily will help lower body weight and triglycerides. I can attest to both.
- Immunity: When I drink this regularly, I never seem to get colds or flu. Immunity starts in the gut, and I believe this supports my gut with healthy living probiotics.
- Supports healthy Digestion: When I know I will eat a heavier meal, drinking a glass of this beforehand helps my stomach digest things faster. I feel less uncomfortable or bloated.
- Supports our Gut Microbiome: I travel a lot and eat a lot of “street food” in India, Asia, etc., and I find that drinking Apple Cider vinegar drink, daily, especially on trips like this really helps keep my gut microbiome healthy and happy. It is not foolproof, but stomach issues happen less often, or do seem to get resolved much more quickly. I won’t travel without it. 🙂
- Lowers Glucose Levels: After wearing a glucose monitor ( just for fun) I’ve noticed that when I consume this apple cider vinegar drink, before meals, my glucose stays more level.
Make a big batch of Apple Cider Vinegar Drink and store it in a pitcher or mason jar, in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
HEalth Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
There is a lot of compelling research on the many advantages of drinking this Apple Cider vinegar drink. Here are the top ten health benefits of consuming apple cider vinegar daily with research linked to each topic.
- Lowers Body Fat (2 tablespoons daily)
- Lowers blood sugar
- Improves insulin sensitivity, lower blood sugar levels and helps with diabetes
- helps with weight loss (2 tablespoons daily)
- Reduces Belly fat
- Lowers cholesterol levels
- Boosts immunity
- Improves heart health, lowering triglycerides
- May slow the growth of cancer cells
- Improves digestion (a natural laxative) and may help with heartburn and acid reflux.
Here are a couple more articles about the benefits of apple cider vinegar that I found interesting: Longevity Live and Medical News Today.
Apple Cider Vinegar Drink FAQs
Q: What is a Switchel?
A: A Switchel is a type of drink that is said to originate in New England. It became popular in the late 17th century, where it was used to revive tired and thirsty farmers during harvest time. It is also known as “Haymaker’s Punch”. The main ingredients of a Switchel are sweetened apple cider vinegar and water.
Q: What is the “mother” in Apple Cider Vinegar?
A: The “mother” in Apple Cider Vinegar refers to the colony of healthy bacteria that are responsible for the fermentation process. It is similar to the SCOBY (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast) used in making Kombucha. Apple Cider Vinegar “with the mother” is vinegar that is not filtered or pasteurized, thus preserving the beneficial bacteria that provide its healing properties.
Q: Will ACV drink hurt my teeth, or tooth enamel?
Apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid- so always rinse your mouth with pure water, after consuming it in large amounts.
Q: Can I drink Apple Cider Vinegar everyday?
Yes, this drink is safe to drink on a daily basis, limiting your consumption up to 2 tablespoons daily.
I’m curious to hear what you think about this Apple Cider Vinegar Drink…. please let me know in the comments below! It’s actually the most helpful if you actually try it first and experience the effects personally before judging. 🙂
Have a fun and happy weekend!!!
How to make an Apple Cider Vinegar Drink (called a Switchel) plus the Top 10 Benefits of drinking Apple Cider Vinegar on a daily basis.
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1–2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar ( “with the mother in it”) Start light, add more to taste
- pinch of sea salt ( for added minerals)
- 1–2 teaspoons sweetener: honey, maple syrup, stevia, coconut sugar, etc.
- squeeze of lemon or other citrus
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger, sliced ginger or 1/2–1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of cinnamon, turmeric, or cayenne pepper
- Place the water, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, and sweetener in a large 16-ounce glass and stir. Add any optional additions. If just starting out, start with one tablespoon vinegar, and perhaps more sweetener, adjusting to taste. As you get used to it, feel free to increase the vinegar and lower the sweetener to taste.
- Enjoy this first thing in the morning to aid the liver in cleansing, or in the afternoon for an energizing pick-me-up, or after dinner to help mitigate carbs, regulate insulin and boost digestion.
- Feel free to make a big batch and store in a pitcher or mason jar, either in the fridge or at room temp (if drinking throughout the day).
This can be kept in the fridge for 1 week.
Sweetener is optional: Over time as you become accustomed to the vinegar taste, you may naturally want to lower the sweetener or omit completely. ***Most mornings I drink filtered water with just a splash of the apple cider vinegar. No sweetener, no lemon, no ginger. Simple and easy. But I know this may not be pleasant for most. This recipe was intended to get you accustomed to the taste. Feel free to adjust from here.
Ideally, you want to consume 2 tablespoons of Apple cider vinegar daily for 12 weeks to see results with weight loss and body fat. Remember you can always add to salads, too. 🙂 Raw Apple Cider Dressing
- Serving Size: 16 ounces w/ 1 teaspoon honey
- Calories: 28
- Sugar: 5.9 g
- Sodium: 98.5 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg