This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
How to make an Apple Cider Vinegar Drink (called a Switchel) plus the Top 10 Benefits of drinking Apple Cider Vinegar on a daily basis. A healthy, energizing, probiotic drink made with apple cider vinegar (with the “mother” in it) that reduces body fat, lowers blood sugar, lowers cholesterol, lowers insulin, helps shed weight, boosts immunity, aids with digestion and regularity, and increases energy and vitality!
If you’ve been here a while, you’ll already know I’m a huge fan of this Apple Cider Vinegar Drink. When I first started the blog, way back in 2011, I was drinking it regularly every morning and did not get sick for five years. Five years! Not a sniffle.
It turns out, this has been around a while and there is actually a name for it… it is called Switchel!
TOP 10 Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar:
- Lowers Body Fat (2 tablespoons daily)
- Lowers blood sugar
- Improves insulin sensitivity, lowers blood sugar levels and helps with diabetes
- helps with weight loss (2 tablespoons daily)
- Reduces Belly fat
- Lowers cholesterol
- Boosts immunity
- May improve heart health
- May slow the growth of cancer cells
- Improves digestion
I know that on days when I drink this Switchel, I feel so energized! Not only does it help keep me “regular” (drinking it first thing in the morning), when I drink it before a meal, I feel less hungry.
I’ve read it helps keep our gut microbiome in balance, helping regulate the balance between bacteria and yeasts. I’ve also heard it lowers blood sugar after eating a high carb meal, and helps regulate insulin and lower cholesterol – but please do your own research and see. As I told you earlier, I know first hand it boosts immunity, making me more resistant to colds and flu.
But please don’t take my word for it…try it for yourself… drink it for a few weeks, and see how it feels.
Isn’t that the true test? Experiencing something for yourself personally?
What is a Switchel?
This Apple Cider Vinegar Drink is said to originate in New England where it became a popular drink in the late 17th century – where it was used to revive tired and thirsty farmers at harvest time, also called “Haymaker’s Punch” or a Switchel. It was basically sweetened apple cider vinegar water.
What or who is the “mother”?
If you are wondering what “the Mother” actually is in the Apple Cider Vinegar – it is is the colony of healthy bacteria, similar to a Kombucha SCOBY, that help make the vinegar through a secondary fermentation process.
Apple Cider Vinegar “with the mother in it” is vinegar that is not filtered or heated (pasteurized), so the healthy living bacteria are preserved and kept alive to do their healing!
Why I drink this:
- Healthy Digestion: When I know I going to eat a heavier meal, drinking a glass of this beforehand helps my stomach digest things faster. I feel less uncomfortable or bloated.
- Travel: I travel a lot and eat a lot of “street food” in India, Asia, etc., and I find that drinking Apple Cider vinegar water, daily, especially on trips like this really helps keep my microbiome healthy and happy. It is not foolproof, but stomach issues happen less often, or do seem to get resolved much more quickly. I don’t travel without it. 🙂
- It Curbs Snacking: One thing that I’ve been trying to do lately is not snack between meals. This switchel has been a godsend. I snack out of boredom, not hunger… and you’ve probably heard me say, my mouth gets bored! So I’ve been reaching for this drink lately instead of the snacky stuff. It makes me feel less hungry.
- Immunity: Like I mentioned earlier, when I drink this regularly I don’t ever seem to get colds or flu. Perhaps it is the placebo effect. Who knows, but it works.
Ingredients in Apple Cider Vinegar Drink:
- Unfiltered Apple cider vinegar
- Water or sparkling water
- Optional Sweetener: Maple syrup, molasses, monk fruit, honey or stevia (all optional)
- Slice of lemon, orange or lime
- Fresh Ginger- optional but delicious! Or use ground ginger powder.
- Pinch of Himalayan sea salt (optional)
- Pinch of cinnamon!
Apple cider vinegar for weight loss:
According to recent research, drinking 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar ( 30 ml) daily will help with lower body weight!
I’m curious to hear what you think about this Apple Cider Vinegar Drink…. please let me know in the comments below! It’s actually the most helpful if you actually try it first and experience the effects personally, before judging. 🙂
Have a fun and happy weekend!!!
Have a Switchel! Cheers!
More Recipes you may like:Print
How to make an Apple Cider Vinegar Drink (called a Switchel) plus the Top 10 Benefits of drinking Apple Cider Vinegar on a daily basis.
- 4 slices ginger ( optional- see notes)
- 3 3/4 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar ( like Braggs – “with the mother in it”) more to taste
- juice of 1/2 –1 lemon (or sub limes or other citrus! Blood oranges are pretty too!)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon honey (preferably raw) or molasses, maple syrup or stevia to taste -optional, see notes
- Pinch of Himalayan sea salt (optional)
Place ginger in one cup of water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Let cool.
Pour the ginger water, remaining water, apple cider vinegar, juice from half a lemon, and your choice of sweetener into to a quart mason jar. Stir and adjust lemon and sweetness to your taste.
Store in a pitcher or mason jar, either in the fridge or at room temp (if drinking throughout the day).
Enjoy first thing in the morning to aid the liver in cleansing, or in the afternoon for an energizing pick-me-up or after dinner to help mitigate carbs and regulate insulin.
Ideally, you want to consume 2 tablespoons of Apple cider vinegar daily for 12 weeks to see results with weight loss and body fat. Remember you can always add to salads too. 🙂 Raw Apple Cider Dressing
This will keep for 1 week in the fridge.
It’s important you let the warm water cool- you do not want to kill the healthy bacteria in the vinegar or the health benefits of the raw honey.
If in a hurry, simply leave out the ginger, and make the drink in a glass, with lemon, vinegar and optional sweetener to taste. You can also use sparkling water and serve over ice.
Sweetener is optional: Over time as you become accustomed to the vinegar taste, you may naturally want to lower the sweetener or omit completely. ***Most mornings I drink filtered water with just a splash of the apple cider vinegar. No sweetener, no lemon, no ginger. Simple and easy. But I know this may not be pleasant for most. This recipe was intended to get you accustomed to the taste. Feel free to adjust from here.
And Lately, I’ve been adding a pinch of pink Himalayan Salt to add electrolytes.
- Serving Size: 1 cup - using honey
- Calories: 26
- Sugar: 5.1 g
- Sodium: 1.2 mg
- Fat: 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.9 g
- Fiber: 0.1 g
- Protein: 0.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: apple cider vinegar drink, benefits of apple cider vinegar, switchel,switchel recipe, benefits of apple cider vinegar, switchel drink recipe, how to make a switchel, what is a switchel, probiotic drink, apple cider vinegar drink, apple cider vinegar drink recipe , switzel recipe, haymakers punch, switchel history and origin,