You are a unique being. You have a unique talent and a unique way of expressing it. There is something that you can do better than anyone else in the whole world–and for every unique talent and unique expression of that talent, there are also unique needs. When these needs are matched with the creative expression of your talent, that is the spark that creates abundance. Expressing your talents to fulfill needs, creates unlimited abundance. ~ Deepak Chopra
Beets get a festive Moroccan twist in this easy, healthy vegan recipe. Moroccan Roasted Beets with pomegranate, toasted pistachios with a balsamic glaze, served warm, makes for a hearty side dish, and save the leftovers and toss with greens for a lovely winter salad during the week.
It can feel so vulnerable though. Scary. Exposing who we really are, requires a good amount of courage. Our fear of the criticism and judgment of others too often wins this internal battle. And our fears that we are not “good enough” often stop us in dead our tracks.
To peel or not to peel? When roasting beets there is much debate over whether or not to peel them, and when. Some people roast beets whole, letting them cool and slipping off their skins. To me, this seems to defeat the purpose. All the yummy flavor of the olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper, gets tossed with the peel.
Out of laziness, I suppose, and the hopeful idea that the skins are really nutritious, I leave the skins on. Just make sure to give them a good scrubbing. If skins are not your thing, peel them first with a vegetable peeler.
Watch How to cut a Pomegranate | 2 min video!
Serve immediately and save the leftovers for salad the next day.
- 3 pounds beets – scrubbed and cut into wedges no more than 3/4 inch thick ( see note). If you prefer not to eat the peels, peel with a vegetable peeler before cutting.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 425F
- Roast Beets: Toss beets with olive oil, balsamic, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, salt, pepper in a bowl and coat well.Place on parchment-lined baking sheet place on the middle rack, and roast until fork tender, checking and stirring every 15 minutes, about 40-45 minutes.
- Make Balsamic Glaze: Place balsamic and maple syrup in small pot on medium-low heat, and reduce 20 minutes or until you have about 3 tablespoons.
- When beets are done, place in a serving dish and toss with balsamic glaze, pomegranate seeds and pistachios.
- Garnish with orange zest and mint.
If you’d like to cut your beets bigger than 3/4 inch thick, cover with foil ( so they steam and soften a bit) the first 20-30 minutes, then remove foil, continue baking until tender.
- Calories: 198
Keywords: roasted beets, moroccan roasted beets, roasted beets with balsamic glaze, how to roast beets, roasted beets with pistachios