I’ve been loving this simple grilled chicken with an Italian-style Salsa Verde- which, if unfamiliar is an herby green sauce made with flat-leaf parsley, olive oil, garlic, capers…and an optional anchovy. This easy, quick weeknight meal, somehow feels special, more like Sunday supper. In winter move indoors and sear the chicken on the stove-top.
This delicious, Italian-Style Salsa Verde, is something to add to your cooking repertoire- its bright, briny and delicious flavor tastes amazing on pretty much everything from grilled veggies, to fish to chicken or beef.
I make this Salsa Verde often and consider it one of my “secret weapons” in our catering business, not only because it can be made in minutes, but because I usually have all the ingredients on hand, especially now with my handy-dandy Italian parsley patch in the backyard!
This grilled chicken is particularly tasty, alongside a simple vine-ripened tomato salad. To me, the chicken, the tomatoes, the Salsa Verde Sauce- go so well together! A beautiful way to celebrate the last few weeks of summer, when tomatoes and herbs are at their peak, just wanting to be picked and eaten.
RELATED: 35 Grilling Recipes from around the Globe!
Grilled Chicken with Salsa Verde (an Italian herby caper sauce) – a simple easy weeknight meal perfect for supper on the patio!
- 4–6 pieces of skin-on, bone-in chicken – thighs or breasts (or cut up a whole chicken)
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
Italian-Style Salsa Verde
- 1 cup Italian parsley ( packed, tender stems ok) feel free to sub part basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- ⅛ cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoon capers
- 1 Tablespoon caper “juice” from the jar
- 1 anchovy ( optional)
- ⅓ cup olive oil plus more for cooking
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, or to taste
Tuscan Tomato Salad
- 2 lbs heirloom tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- scattering of herbs (optional)
- Preheat grill to medium-high and oven to 35oF
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper on all sides.
- On a well-greased grill, grill chicken over medium heat until good grill marks appear on both sides covering the grill. Place chicken in the warm oven, uncovered until cooked through 10-15 minutes, depending on the cut. (Use a thermometer. 160F for Breasts and 170 F for thighs.) Feel free to keep on the grill, in a cooler spot until cooked through.
- While chicken is grilling, make the Italian Style Salsa Verde.
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse, repeatedly, about 15 times, until chopped and just combined – but NOT smooth. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- To make the tomato salad, slice assorted ripe, room temperature tomatoes and place on a platter. Drizzle with good olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Scatter with fresh herbs for color.
- Divide chicken and tomoato salad among plates, spoon a little salsa verde over top.
- STOVE TOP: Heat 2-3 T oil in a heavy bottom skillet, and gently place chicken in hot oil, skin side down, over medium heat and sear for 5-6 minutes, or until golden brown. You may need to do this in batches if using a whole chicken.
- Turn over and sear another 3-5 minutes, turning heat down to medium. Once both sides are deeply golden, place in the oven to finish.
- You can also make this with boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Calories: 450
Keywords: grilled chicken with salsa verde, Italian chicken recipes, grilled chicken recipes, salsa verde, salsa verde with chicken