I’ve been loving this simple pan-roasted chicken with an Italian style Salsa Verde- which, if unfamiliar is an herby green sauce made with flat-leaf parsley, olive oil, garlic, capers…and an optional anchovy. This easy, quick weeknight meal, somehow feels special, more like Sunday supper. In summer, move outdoors and grill the chicken for even more flavor.
The Italian Salsa Verde, is something to add to your cooking repertoire….for its bright, briny and delicious flavor tastes amazing on pretty much everything from grilled veggies, to fish to chicken or beef. I make this often and consider it one of my “secret weapons” in the kitchen, not only because it can be made in minutes, but because I usually have all the ingredients on hand, especially now with my handy-dandy Italian parsley patch in the backyard. I particularly love this chicken, alongside a vine-ripened tomato salad. To me, the chicken, the tomatoes, the sauce….all go so well together and celebrates the last few weeks of summer, when tomatoes and herbs are at their peak, just wanting to be picked and eaten. Give it a try and see what you think.
I prefer using bone in, skin on chicken. Thighs or breasts both work well, or cut up a whole chicken.
Chicken with Italian Salsa Verde
Chicken with Italian Salsa Verde – a flavorful Roast chicken served with Italian salsa verde and a simple tomato salad
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 4
- Category: Chicken
- Cuisine: Italian
- 4-6 pieces of skin on, bone in chicken- thighs or breasts (or cut up a whole chicken)
- kosher salt and pepper
- olive oil for searing
- Italian Style Salsa Verde
- 1 C Italian parsley ( packed, tender stems ok) feel free to sub basil or part basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- ⅛ C T lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 T capers
- 1 T caper juice
- 1 anchovy ( optional)
- ¼ -⅓ C olive oil plus more for cooking
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tuscan Tomato Salad
- Assorted room temperature tomatoes
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- finishing salt
- scattering of herbs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 F ( or grill!)
- Rinse and pat dry chicken. Season generously with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Heat 2-3 T oil in a heavy bottom skillet, and gently place chicken in hot oil, skin side down, over medium high heat and sear for 5 minutes, or until golden brown. You may need to do this in batches if using a whole chicken. Turn over and sear another 3 minutes, turning heat down to medium.
- Place chicken in the oven, either in the same skillet or on a sheet pan, and bake until cooked through. 15-25 minutes, depending on the cut.
- While chicken is finishing in the oven, make the Italian Style Salsa Verde.
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse, repeatedly, about 15 times, until chopped and just combined – but NOT smooth. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- To make the tomato salad, slice assorted ripe, room temperature tomatoes and place on a platter. Drizzle with good olive oil, balsamic vinegar, finishing salt and pepper. That’s it. You could scatter fresh herbs for color.