Grilled Chicken with Salsa Verde (an Italian herby caper sauce) – a simple easy weeknight meal perfect for supper on the patio!
- 4–6 pieces of skin-on, bone-in chicken – thighs or breasts (or cut up a whole chicken)
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
Italian-Style Salsa Verde
- 1 cup Italian parsley ( packed, tender stems ok) feel free to sub part basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- ⅛ cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoon capers
- 1 Tablespoon caper “juice” from the jar
- 1 anchovy ( optional)
- ⅓ cup olive oil plus more for cooking
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, or to taste
Tuscan Tomato Salad
- Preheat grill to medium-high and oven to 35oF
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper on all sides.
- On a well-greased grill, grill chicken over medium heat until good grill marks appear on both sides covering the grill. Place chicken in the warm oven, uncovered until cooked through 10-15 minutes, depending on the cut. (Use a thermometer. 160F for Breasts and 170 F for thighs.) Feel free to keep on the grill, in a cooler spot until cooked through.
- While chicken is grilling, make the Italian Style Salsa Verde.
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse, repeatedly, about 15 times, until chopped and just combined – but NOT smooth. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- To make the tomato salad, slice assorted ripe, room temperature tomatoes and place on a platter. Drizzle with good olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Scatter with fresh herbs for color.
- Divide chicken and tomoato salad among plates, spoon a little salsa verde over top.
- STOVE TOP: Heat 2-3 T oil in a heavy bottom skillet, and gently place chicken in hot oil, skin side down, over medium heat and sear for 5-6 minutes, or until golden brown. You may need to do this in batches if using a whole chicken.
- Turn over and sear another 3-5 minutes, turning heat down to medium. Once both sides are deeply golden, place in the oven to finish.
- You can also make this with boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Calories: 450
Keywords: grilled chicken with salsa verde, Italian chicken recipes, grilled chicken recipes, salsa verde, salsa verde with chicken