Grilled Chicken with Italian Salsa Verde (an Italian herby caper sauce) – a simple easy weeknight meal perfect for supper on the patio!
- 4–6 pieces of skin-on, bone-in chicken – thighs or breasts (or cut up a whole chicken)
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
Italian-Style Salsa Verde
- 1 cup Italian parsley ( packed, tender stems ok) feel free to sub part basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoon capers
- 1 Tablespoon caper “juice” from the jar
- 1 anchovy ( optional)
- 1/3 cup olive oil plus more for cooking
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, or to taste
Tuscan Tomato Salad
- Preheat grill to medium-low heat.
- Pat dry and chicken generously with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Grill the chicken, skin side down, letting the skin slowly cook and get crisp. If the grill is too hot, the fat will melt, drip and flare up, so low heat is best here, rotating as necessary.
- Grill until good grill marks appear and skin is crisp, then turn chicken over and grill for a few minutes, until cooked through. 160F for Breasts and 170 F for thighs.
- While chicken is grilling, make the Italian Salsa Verde. Place all the ingredients except the oil and capers in a food processor and pulse repeatedly, about 15 times, until finely chopped . Stream in the oil and pulse a few times more. Place in a bowl and stir in the capers. Set aside.
- To make the tomato salad, slice assorted ripe, room-temperature tomatoes and place on a platter. Drizzle with good olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Scatter with fresh herbs for color.
- Divide chicken and tomato salad among plates, spoon a little salsa verde over the top.
- STOVE TOP: Heat 2-3 T oil in a heavy bottom skillet, and gently place chicken in hot oil, skin side down, over medium heat and sear for 5-6 minutes, or until golden brown. You may need to do this in batches if using a whole chicken.
- Turn over and sear another 3-5 minutes, turning heat down to medium. Once both sides are deeply golden, place in the oven to finish.
- You can also make this with boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Serving Size: one thigh with 1 tablespoon Salsa Verde
- Calories: 493
- Sugar: 0.2 g
- Sodium: 450.8 mg
- Fat: 39.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.7 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 32.4 g
- Cholesterol: 189.6 mg
Keywords: grilled chicken with salsa verde, grilled italian chicken, Italian chicken recipes, grilled chicken recipes, salsa verde, salsa verde with chicken