Caribbean-Style Island Bowl with roasted cabbage, sweet potatoes and tofu ( or chicken) baked in the most flavorful Caribbean-style marinade, served over a bed of seasoned black beans with fresh mango and lime!
- 16 ounces chicken breasts or tofu filets ( or use some of each)
- 1 diced yam ( ¾ inch dice), or try sliced plantains!
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper -cut into one inch wedges
- ½ cabbage ( cut into wedges) or sub parsnips or carrots!
- 1 can black beans ( or sub cooked grains)
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 lime
- 2 scallions, sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice, plus 1 teaspoon zest
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce or Gluten free Braggs Liquid Amino Acids
- 2 teaspoons honey, maple or agave
- 5 fat garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt, more to taste ( after)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground clove ( or sub nutmeg)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne or chili flakes or alleppo ( optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Place marinade ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place tofu and/or chicken on a parchment lined sheet pan and season with salt and pepper. Pour some marinade over top, brushing and turning them over to get both sides coated well.
- Prep the veggies and place on the sheet pan in a single layer alongside the tofu/ chicken ( or use another sheet pan) and either use any extra marinade to lightly coat the veggies, or season with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. You may have extra marinade depending on how many servings you make.
- Place sheet pan in a hot oven and roast until the chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender, about 20-25 minutes. Give the veggies a quick toss after 15 minutes , for more even cooking.
- Slice the mango and scallions and heat the beans in a small pot.
- Season the beans with salt, pepper and a teaspoon of cumin.
- Divide the seasoned warm beans among 2-4 bowls, arrange with the roasted veggies and tofu or chicken. Add sliced fresh mango, squeeze with lime and sprinkle with scallions.
Keywords: vegan buddha bowl, buddha bowl recipe, sheet pan dinners, Caribbean chicken recipes, Caribbean recipes, Caribbean marinade, healthy bowl, mango recipes