Beet Gazpacho- a simple, delicious chilled beet soup with cucumber, avocado, and fresh dill – healthy and low calorie! Vegan and Gluten free!
This luscious Beet Gazpacho is simple and easy to make and full of healthy fresh summer ingredients. A chilled beet soup, it’s topped with diced avocado, crunchy cucumber, onion, beet and fresh dill and a very optional drizzle of olive oil or swirl of yogurt. To my palate, the beets are so silky naturally, they need no additional fat, but try it for yourself and see.
Though it may appear complicated,it is actually a snap to make easily made in 15 minutes if the beets are precooked. The finely diced veggies give it wonderful texture and delicious fresh flavor. I find that it is easiest to cook the beets the night before and let them chill overnight in the fridge so they are cold when you go to make the soup the next day.
These lovely guys were part of my CSA from Urban Eden Farm this month. What’s so satisfying about being a part of a CSA is that when you are literally invested in a farm, not only are you truly supporting your local community, you get to know the growers… and for some reason, I swear, it makes your food taste better! I’d like to believe it’s because the plants are treated with such care and respect, that somehow this affects them on a cellular level. Why not? At least that’s what I’d like to believe.
Have I ever told you that both my grandfathers were farmers? My Finnish grandfather and my Egyptian grandfather, both growing what they could given their unique and different geography. Pavo and Gaballah. I’ve never met them, they left this world before I arrived, but I think of them often, working the soil, caring for the plants, harvesting and selling their produce. Not an easy life. Because of this, I have a tender spot for farmers, who labor mainly out of love.
After the beets are cooked and chilled, the soup comes together in minutes – simply blend it up! And for the record, it really is this color, with no color editing in photoshop – a bright and gorgeous fuchsia!
Hope you love this as much as I do!!
Beet Gazpacho- a refreshing and delicious cold beet soup with cucumber, avocado, and fresh dill. Vegan and Gluten free.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Chilled Soup, Vegan, Soups, Gluten free
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: greek
- ¾ lb beets ( 4 medium beets, smaller than a tennis ball, 3 inches in diameter)
- ¼ cup red or sweet onion, finely diced, divided
- 1–2 garlic cloves ( 1 large or 2 two small)
- 3 small turkish cucumbers, divided
- ½ C fresh dill, divided
- 2 Tablespoons sherry vinegar, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon fresh pepper
- Garnishes- avocado, diced cucumber, diced beet, finely diced onion, chopped dill, baby nasturtium leaves, olive oil or yogurt or sour cream
- Place beets in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low and simmer until fork tender all the way through, about 45- 60 minutes. Chill beets and their cooking liquid.
- Once beets are cold, slip off their skins using your hands. Slice and place 3 of the 4 beets ( saving one) in a blender with 2 Cups of the cold cooking liquid ( or use ice water, or cold veggie stock). Add the half of the chopped onion( about ⅛ cup) , 2 garlic cloves, 2 sliced turkish cucumbers ( saving one) salt, pepper, vinegar and about ⅔ of the fresh dill ( saving some for garnish). Blend until very smooth. Taste and adjust salt and vinegar. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Prep the garnishes. Finely dice remaining beet, cucumber, avocado and chop the remaining dill. Pour chilled beet soup (the colder it is, the better) into bowls. Top with with the garnishes. Drizzle with a little olive oil or a swirl of yogurt or sour cream if you like. Serve immediately!
Keywords: beet gazpacho, gazpacho, gazpacho recipe, cold soup, chilled soup, beet soup, beet soup recipes,