Baked Zucchini with Pecorino and Basil- a crispy zucchini side dish that is simply irresistible and pairs well with many things!
We are never really happy until we try to brighten the lives of others. ~ Helen Keller
I have yet to meet a person who doesn’t like these crispy, yummy, baked zucchini -kids included! They are deceptively simple, but with a little twist. Swap out the parmesan and try this with grated pecorino cheese- it truly elevates! You’ll want to serve these little guys with everything. Pecorino packs quite a punch of umami flavor, so you won’t need to add too much- keeping them light and healthy and zucchini forward.
The flavors complement a wide range of dishes and even the leftovers taste good, reheated in the oven. What can I say? I’m a fan!
How to make Crispy Baked Zucchini
Cut Zucchini into 1/3-inch thick disks.
Coat with olive oil, salt, pepper, chili flakes and garlic.
Bake the Zucchini until crispy, golden and tender. About 18 minutes at 425F
Serve with fresh torn basil leaves. Enjoy!
More zucchini recipes you may like:
- Our 20 Best Zucchini Recipes
- Sautéed Zucchini Ribbons with lemon and garlic
- Zucchini Lasagna
- Zucchini Bread
- Tomato Zucchini Gratin
- Curried Zucchini Soup
- Baked Zucchini with Garlicky Parmesan Breadcrumbs
Hope you enjoy these Crispy Baked Zucchini! Let us know what you think and what you serve them with- in the comments below.
Have a delicious holiday weekend.
Baked Zucchini with Pecorino and Basil- a crispy flavorful zucchini side dish that is simply irresistible and pairs well with many things!
- 4–5 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/3 inch thick disks (about 5 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder, or 2 finely minced cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Aleppo Chili Flakes (or regular chili flakes )
- 1/4 cup finely grated pecorino cheese (or sub parmesan or asiago)
- 6–8 torn basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Slice the zucchini into 1/3 inch disks. Place in a bowl and drizzle with the olive oil, sprinkle with salt, garlic powder, pepper and optional chili flakes. Place in a single layer on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Lightly sprinkle each slice with 1/3 teaspoon grated pecorino.
- Bake in the oven 18 minutes, check, and if need be, rotate, or tent lightly with foil (if getting too dark) and continue baking 5-10 minutes until fork tender. You want tops nicely golden and crispy with tender middles.
- Place on a plater and scatter with the torn basil leaves. Enjoy!
Pecorino rather than parmesan really elevates this, but parmesan works too!
TIP: A quick, easy way to grate a block of pecorino cheese, is to break it apart into small chunks and pulse it in a food processor until it becomes a fine crumb. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Nice to have on hand!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 122
- Sugar: 0.1 g
- Sodium: 500 mg
- Fat: 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.8 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 5.1 g
- Cholesterol: 14.8 mg
Keywords: baked zucchini, crispy baked zucchini, baked zucchini with parmesan, baked zucchini recipe,