Baked Zucchini with Pecorino and Basil- a crispy flavorful zucchini side dish that is simply irresistible and pairs well with many things!
- 4–5 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/3 inch thick disks (about 5 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder, or 2 finely minced cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Aleppo Chili Flakes (or regular chili flakes )
- 1/4 cup finely grated pecorino cheese (or sub parmesan or asiago)
- 6–8 torn basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Slice the zucchini into 1/3 inch disks. Place in a bowl and drizzle with the olive oil, sprinkle with salt, garlic powder, pepper and optional chili flakes. Place in a single layer on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Lightly sprinkle each slice with 1/3 teaspoon grated pecorino.
- Bake in the oven 18 minutes, check, and if need be, rotate, or tent lightly with foil (if getting too dark) and continue baking 5-10 minutes until fork tender. You want tops nicely golden and crispy with tender middles.
- Place on a plater and scatter with the torn basil leaves. Enjoy!
Pecorino rather than parmesan really elevates this, but parmesan works too!
TIP: A quick, easy way to grate a block of pecorino cheese, is to break it apart into small chunks and pulse it in a food processor until it becomes a fine crumb. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Nice to have on hand!
Keywords: baked zucchini, crispy baked zucchini, baked zucchini with parmesan, baked zucchini recipe,