Summer provides us with an abundance of sweet and spicy summer roots- turnips, kohlrabi, carrots, beets, diakon and radishes, just to name a few. And summer is also the perfect time of year to enjoy these roots raw, in salads and slaws, and receive all their incredible nutrients and health benefits, directly into our bodies, without any adulteration.
This recipe for Tangled Summer Roots with a lemony Yogurt Garlic Scape Dressing came about last week when I realized I needed to use up these beautiful multicolored roots before I went to collect my next CSA box at Urban Eden Farm which would undoubtedly contain more. Since then, it has been my go-to salad the last few weeks. Crunchy, tangy, creamy, garlicky – and to me, very satisfying. I’m not kidding when I tell you it’s hard not to eat the whole bowl in one sitting.
The turnips give the salad a lovely subtle sweetness and such great texture. They really do taste good raw!
I finally caved in and bought a spiralizer attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer and have fallen head over heals over it. I now understand all the hype.
Garlic scapes give the dressing a flavorful bite, but if unavailable, feel free to substitute garlic cloves.
Fresh radishes add a peppery bite. Diakon is also really nice too.
Fresh herbs like dill, parsley, cilantro or basil add another layer of flavor.
It’s a simple salad, but very tasty and a great way to incorporate raw veggies into our everyday diet. Serve along side a piece of grilled chicken, or Tofu skewers. It’s filling and satisfying!
Give it try and see what you think!Print
Tangled Summer Roots
A refreshing a crunchy salad made with summer roots- kohlrabi, radishes, diakon, turnips, carrots, beets, fresh herbs and a lemony Yogurt Garlic Scape Dressing
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 3-4
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Northwest
- 4-5 cups ( packed) spiralized roots (1 kohlrabi, 1-2 turnips,4-5 radishes or 1 cup diakon radish, 1-2 carrots, 1 chioggia beet) Scrub all weel- peeling is optional
- ¼ cup red onion- tiny sliced
- ½ cup while milk plain greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3-4 x 4 inch pieces of garlic scape ( tender part, just below flower) or use 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- fresh herbs for sprinkling- dill, parsley, mint or basil
- Place 4-5 cups spiralized ( or grated) summer roots in a bowl.
- Blend dressing ingredients until smooth, in a blender. Taste, adjust garlic and salt
- When ready to serve, toss with spiralized roots.
- Note: If using red beets, the salad will turn bright hot pink.
- Chioggia or golden beets seem to bleed less.