This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Here’s a simple vegan breakfast that I often turn to as the weather cools. Apple Toast! Apples are sautéed with maple syrup, with a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg or cardamom, and simply served on sourdough toast. Add a layer of almond butter if you like. It feels so decadent, but it’s so easy.
As the weather cools, a switch goes off in my head and all I want to do is bake bread. I’m sure I got this from my mother, who probably got it from her mother, who got it from hers. From a long line of Finnish mothers, the bread I grew up eating was wholesome and dense, made with whole grains, most often rye. My mom would mill her own grains, back before this was popular.
Dark, earthy, dense and flavorful, with a hint of sweetness, her rye bread was a meal. When the freshly baked loaf came out of the oven, my mom would butter the heel and hand me the still-warm slice. It was delicious. On days when I was sick, she would toast it, and lather it up with honey. To this day, it’s my favorite way to eat toast when I want to feel nurtured.
How to make Apple Toast
Toast up a few slices of hearty, wholesome sourdough bread.
Slice an apple- I love using honey crisp apples but almost any apple will work.
Sauté the sliced apples in a little coconut oil (or butter) with a pinch of salt, until softened, sprinkle with cinnamon (or cardamom, or nutmeg ), and finish with a splash of maple syrup, letting the apples caramelize.
Pile the warm apples on the warm toast, along with the drippings from the pan.
For extra protein, sometimes I’ll add a layer of almond butter. Up to you!
A simple vegan breakfast that can be whipped up in minutes!
More Recipes you’ll love!
- Baked Apples
- Baked Oats w/ Maple Glazed Apples
- Baked Apple Pancake (Pannekoeken)
- Avocado Toast with Poached Eggs, Arugula and Zaatar
- Easy Sourdough Bread
- Mushroom Toast
- Asparagus Toast with Poached Eggs
This Cinnamon Apple Toast can be made in just a few minutes with simple ingredeints. A cozy warming breakfast. Vegan!
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1 large apple- honey crisp, pink lady, or gala
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter or vegan butter
- pinch of cinnamon, cardamom or nutmeg, choose one or all three.
- pinch of salt
- 1 –2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Optional additions: almond butter, dried fruit ( raisins, currents, etc to add to the sauting apples), peanut butter, cashew butter.
- Slice the apples into ½-inch slices. Heat the butter or coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat and when warm, place apples in the skillet. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt, and saute until tender, stirring, about 5-6 minutes.
- In the meantime, toast your bread.
- Once the apples are tender, add a generous sprinkle of cinnamon (or try the other spices) and cook one more minute. Drizzle with the maple syrup, stir, and let the apples caramelize for just a few seconds. Turn heat off.
- Spoon the warm apples over your toast, letting the drippings moisten the bread.(Or spread almond butter on the toast first layering the apples over top).
Feel free to add dried raisins, currents, raisins, etc to the sautéing apples.
Pears will work here too. 🙂
- Serving Size: One toast
- Calories: 305
- Sugar: 16.9 g
- Sodium: 522.8 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 51.8 g
- Fiber: 4.3 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Apple Toast, Cinnamon Apple toast, Apple toast recipe, vegan breakfast