Heirloom Tomato Salad with Toasted Walnuts and Smoked Blue Cheese – a simple summer salad highlighting sweet and juicy heirloom tomatoes and rich earthy walnuts. Can be made in 15 minutes!
In this simple recipe, juicy summer tomatoes are paired with earthy walnuts to create the perfect marriage of flavors. Smoked blue cheese adds a tantalizing smoky, salty depth and in a few minutes, you have a delicious side, bursting with summer goodness.
This week I’ve partnered with California Walnuts (all opinions are my own) to create this simple summer salad. The toasted walnuts give the salad a delicious earthy flavor, and wonderful texture and crunch, really complimenting the sweet, juicy tomatoes.
Walnuts also offer protein (4 grams/oz), fiber (2 grams/oz) and essential plant-based omega-3 fatty acids (one ounce of walnuts provides 18g of total fat, 2.5g of monounsaturated fat, 13g of polyunsaturated fat, including 2.5g ALA).
Toast the walnuts for 12-14 minutes in a 350F oven to bring our their earthy umami flavor!
For this recipe find the most beautiful assortment of tomatoes you can. These can be found at your farmers market right now! Choose tomatoes that are ripe because these will have the best flavor! This salad will only be as good as your tomatoes!
Then slice and layer.
Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper and slice the smoked blue cheese thinly and scatter over the tomatoes.
Add the toasted walnuts, sprinkle with the fresh herbs and spoon the easy dressing over top!
Such a simple salad, but full of summer flavor.
A delicious addition to summer gatherings and potlucks.
Because there are no greens, left-overs will keep to the next day.
Hope you are enjoying these warm summer days….
RELATED: 35 Must-try Farmers Market Recipes!
Heirloom Tomato Salad with Toasted Walnuts and Smoked Blue Cheese
Heirloom Tomato Salad with Toasted Walnuts and Smoked Blue Cheese – a simple summer salad highlighting sweet and juicy heirloom tomatoes. Can be made in 15 minutes!
- Prep Time: 15
- Total Time: 15
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: salad
- Method: Layered
- Cuisine: Northwest
- 2 lbs ripe summer tomatoes (colorful heirlooms are nice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, thinly sliced (purchase smoked blue cheese if available!)
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1–2 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar ( or red wine or balsamic)
- 1 garlic clove (finely minced) or sub 1 tablespoon finely minced shallot
- pinch salt and pepper
- Wash and slice the tomatoes and place them on a platter, slightly overlapping.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Scatter the toasted walnuts and add the thinly sliced blue cheese over top.
- Sprinkle with the fresh herbs.
- Make the dressing and spoon it over the top, trying to get a little on each tomato slice.
Keywords: tomato salad, heirloom tomato salad, tomato walnut salad, tomato blue cheese salad recipe, walnut salad, tomato salad recipes, walnut recipes