Stuffed Butternut Squash – Three Ways
Stuffed Butternut Squash – three ways! A quick and healthy weeknight meal with roasted butternut as the base. Vegan adaptable and gluten free!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 2
- Category: Main
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: Pacific Northwest, Fall
- 1 small butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter ( or a mix is nice)
- ¼ of an onion- ½ cup diced
- ½ an apple, diced
- 2 garlic cloves rough chopped
- 8 ounces ground turkey ( ground turkey breast tends to get dry, ground thigh is much moister)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries- or use fresh, adding extra maple syrup to taste.
- 8-10 sage leaves, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Cut butternut down the middle lengthwise. Place open side down on lightly greased parchment-lined sheet pan. Roast 30 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork, through the skin.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, apple and garlic and sauté until just tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add ground turkey, salt and fennel seeds, and cook until turkey is cooked through and browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add pecans, dried cranberries and sage, and cook a few more minutes until warmed through and drizzle with maple. If using fresh cranberries, cook enough to let them blister, taste and adjust maple, adding more to taste. Set filling aside, keeping warm.
- When butternut is done, flip over and scoop out the seeds. With a fork, break up the tender flesh. Drizzle the squash with a little olive oil ( or butter) and sprinkle with salt and pepper and a little more maple and mix this all into the squash, seasoning it.
- Top with turkey cranberry filling. Serve immediately.
- Notes- in the photos I have the filling placed in the “hole” of the butternut, and while this looks pretty for the photo, I feel the squash needs to be broken up and “seasoned”, for the best flavor.
Keywords: stuffed butternut squash recipe, thanksgiving stuffed butternut, apple stuffed butternut