Pan-seared Salmon with Chia Crust, served hot and crispy over cool, crunchy fennel slaw, topped with quick pickled onions and fresh dill. A simple, healthy, paleo dinner that is quick and easy. Low carb, gluten-free and YUMMY!You have escaped the cage. Your wings are stretched out. Now, fly.
Wow, things just heated up fast the last few days. Summer finally arrived in our area, and boy is hot hot hot! Here’s a cool little number to try this week. And if you’ve been here a while, you’ll already know how much I like to pair hot and cold things. Remember the Grilled Chicken Shawarma over cool and refreshing Israeli Salad? Or the hot & blackened Cajun Tempeh over greens and cool vegan ranch?
Well here’s another one for you… Pan-Seared Salmon with a Chia Seed Crust served over a cool and crunchy fennel slaw. It’s top with Quick Pickled Red Onions and fresh dill. Chia seeds, if you are wondering give the salmon a unique delicious flavor as well as the most amazing texture! A very healthy, paleo friendly, low carb meal that features seasonal wild salmon and fennel. So tasty!
Keeping this short and sweet today… I’m headed out to enjoy some outdoor time. As I type, Brian is loading up the kayaks for us to paddle down the Little Spokane River… one of my all-time favorite things to do here when it’s hot. Hope you are having a fabulous summer!
Crispy, pan-seared chia crusted salmon is served over cool and crunchy fennel slaw, topped with quick pickled onions and dill. Paleo and gluten-free!
- 2 4-6 ounces Wild Salmon (or Steelhead) filets ( I prefer thicker cuts)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint, dill or tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 lemon ( to finish)
- 1 extra large fennel bulb, very thinly sliced ( a mandolin is great for this)
- 1 Turkish cucumber
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1/2 ounce package dill or tarragon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2–3 tablespoons lemon juice, more to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh dill for garnish
- Make the slaw. Place the slaw ingredients in a medium bowl and toss well, adjusting salt and lemon. Set aside.
- Brush the tops of salmon with olive oil.
- Place salt, pepper, dried herbs, granulated garlic, chia seeds in a small bowl and mix.
- Coat the top of the fish liberally with the chia mixture, pressing it down well with your fingers, all the way to the edges.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Let the pan get hot.
- Add the fish, chia seed side down and pan sear 3-4 minutes until golden and crispy. Using a metal spatula, carefully turn over, to keep the crust intact and continue cooking until the fish is cooked to desired doneness, 3-4 more minutes, or more depending on thickness.
- Divide the fennel slaw between two plates and place fish on top. Squeeze with lemon and top with pickled red onions and fresh dill.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 399
- Sugar: 6.6 g
- Sodium: 731.2 mg
- Fat: 27.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.9 g
- Fiber: 3.7 g
- Protein: 30.3 g
- Cholesterol: 65.2 mg
Keywords: pan seared salmon, paleo salmon, salmon paleo, chia crusted salmon, fennel slaw, fennel slaw recipe, salmon recipe, easy salmon recipe, quick salmon recipe