Crispy, pan-seared chia crusted salmon is served over cool and crunchy fennel slaw, topped with quick pickled onions and dill. Paleo and gluten-free!
- 2 4-6 ounces Wild Salmon (or Steelhead) filets ( I prefer thicker cuts)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint, dill or tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 lemon ( to finish)
- 1 extra large fennel bulb, very thinly sliced ( a mandolin is great for this)
- 1 Turkish cucumber
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1/2 ounce package dill or tarragon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2–3 tablespoons lemon juice, more to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh dill for garnish
- Make the slaw. Place the slaw ingredients in a medium bowl and toss well, adjusting salt and lemon. Set aside.
- Brush the tops of salmon with olive oil.
- Place salt, pepper, dried herbs, granulated garlic, chia seeds in a small bowl and mix.
- Coat the top of the fish liberally with the chia mixture, pressing it down well with your fingers, all the way to the edges.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Let the pan get hot.
- Add the fish, chia seed side down and pan sear 3-4 minutes until golden and crispy. Using a metal spatula, carefully turn over, to keep the crust intact and continue cooking until the fish is cooked to desired doneness, 3-4 more minutes, or more depending on thickness.
- Divide the fennel slaw between two plates and place fish on top. Squeeze with lemon and top with pickled red onions and fresh dill.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 399
- Sugar: 6.6 g
- Sodium: 731.2 mg
- Fat: 27.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.9 g
- Fiber: 3.7 g
- Protein: 30.3 g
- Cholesterol: 65.2 mg
Keywords: pan seared salmon, paleo salmon, salmon paleo, chia crusted salmon, fennel slaw, fennel slaw recipe, salmon recipe, easy salmon recipe, quick salmon recipe