Make sure to use tender skinned new potatoes, the smallest ones you can find. New potatoes are freshly harvested young potatoes. With paper-thin skins and lots of moisture inside, and they tend to be sweeter than older potatoes and are excellent in potato salads. They are also really delicious prepared simply – steamed and topped with a little butter, salt and fresh dill.
This beautiful hand thrown ceramic bowl was made by a Seattle artist, Randi Starup … we have a few available at our store…www.bowlandpitcher.com. Take a peek!
Black garlic, is garlic that has been fermented. The flavor will surprise you. The fermentation process, mellows garlic’s pungency greatly, and transforms into something earthy, sweet and full of umami flavors. The first time I used it, I was a little concerned by the color, but don’t let it scare you, it’s totally harmless, and delicious!
Make a paste.
Give the new potatoes a quick blanch.
Toss them with a little bit of the vinaigrette.
Then give a little char on the grill.
Toss with the rest of the vinaigrette and sprinkle with fresh chives and dill.
Serve with a little dilled sour cream on the side and enjoy!!
Grilled Potato Salad with Black Garlic Vinaigrette
Grilled Potato Salad Recipe with Black Garlic Vinaigrette and Dill Cream by sylvia fountaine May-31-2014 A delicious grilled potato salad with black garlic vinaigrette and dill cream…great as a side to salmon.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: American
- 24 oz = 1 ½ lbs baby potatoes
- 4 cloves black garlic
- 4 T oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 T rice wine vinegar
- 1 T chives
- 2-3 T fresh dill, cilantro, Italian parsley or tarragon.
- Dill Cream:
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 2 T fresh dill
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 T finely chopped onion or shallot
- salt, pepper, sugar
- Preheat grill to med high heat.
- Blanch potatoes in salted boiling water, until just tender, about 10-15 minutes, depending on size.
- Mash black garlic with a fork with salt and 1 T oil, until it become a chunky paste. Add the remaining oil, vinegar, and pepper.
- Strain the tender potatoes, and toss with 1 T of the vinaigrette, just enough to lightly coat. Grill the potatoes until nicely charred.
- Toss with the rest of the vinaigrette, and fresh herbs.
- Serve with dilled sour cream-
- To make dill sour cream: whisk one cup sour cream with a little lemon zest, squeeze of ½ a lemon, 2-3 T fresh dill, 1 T chopped shallot, salt and pepper to taste, and pinch of sugar.