Make sure to use tender skinned new potatoes, the smallest ones you can find. New potatoes are freshly harvested young potatoes. With paper-thin skins and lots of moisture inside, and they tend to be sweeter than older potatoes and are excellent in potato salads. They are also really delicious prepared simply – steamed and topped with a little butter, salt and fresh dill.
This beautiful hand thrown ceramic bowl was made by a Seattle artist, Randi Starup … we have a few available at our store…www.bowlandpitcher.com. Take a peek!
What is black garlic?
Black garlic, is garlic that has been fermented. The flavor will surprise you. The fermentation process, mellows garlic’s pungency greatly, and transforms into something earthy, sweet and full of umami flavor.
Mash it into a paste. Then stir it into a vinaigrette.
Give the new potatoes a quick blanch.
Toss the blanched potatoes with a little of the black garlic vinaigrette, just enough to coat.
Then grill them, turning to give a little char on most sides.
Sprinkle with fresh chives, chive blossoms and dill. Serve it like it this, warm or at room temp, or chill for later.
Keep it vegan or serve it will a dollop of dilled sour cream.
Happy grilling friends!
Grilled potato salad with black garlic vinaigrette – a lightened up potato salad perfect for outdoor gatherings. For extra richness, serve with a dilled sour cream… on the side. ( see notes)
- 24 oz = 1 ½ lbs baby potatoes
- 4 cloves black garlic
- 4 T oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 T rice wine vinegar
- 1 T chives
- 2–3 T fresh dill, cilantro, Italian parsley or tarragon.
Optional Dill Cream:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 T fresh dill
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 T finely chopped onion or shallot
- pinch salt, pepper, sugar
- Preheat grill to med high heat.
- Blanch potatoes in salted boiling water, until just tender, about 10-15 minutes, depending on size.
- Mash black garlic with a fork with salt and 1 T oil, until it become a chunky paste. Add the remaining oil, vinegar, and pepper.
- Strain the tender potatoes, and toss with 1 T of the vinaigrette, just enough to lightly coat. Grill the potatoes until nicely charred. Toss with the rest of the vinaigrette, and fresh herbs.
Option – Serve with dilled sour cream.
To make dill sour cream: whisk one cup sour cream with a little lemon zest, squeeze of ½ a lemon, 2-3 T fresh dill, 1 T chopped shallot, salt and pepper to taste, and pinch of sugar.
Keywords: grilled potato salad, potato salad, vegan potato salad