Garlicky Chard Pasta with lemon zest, garlic chips, and toasted bread crumbs is vegan, gluten-free adaptable and can be made in 30 minutes flat!
Chard has a flavor uniquely its own – tangy, earthy, pungent, and slightly salty and bitter – it adds a delicious complexity to everyday dishes. This Garlicky Chard Pasta is vegan, gluten-free adaptable, full of flavor and can be made in 30 minutes flat!
It utilizes an entire bunch of chard-packed full of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory agents and blood sugar stabilizers, but as I said, it’s the flavor that really stands out here.
The health benefits of chard are just the icing on the cake. Feel free to use gluten-free pasta and gluten-free toasted bread crumbs. For heartier eaters or added richness add grated pecorino or parmesan. Chili flakes are a nice addition too.
What to serve with Garlicky Chard Pasta
Chard is in season from June until August, and young chard is especially tasty and loves to be paired with lemony dressings. Branch out and give it a try this week!
How to make Garlicky Chard Pasta
Saute the onion and shallot in olive oil until fragrant and golden. Add the chard and gently wilt.
Add the cooked pasta and lemon zest.
For added texture, toast bread crumbs in a little olive oil with an optional clove of garlic for extra garlic flavor.
And top the pasta with the toasted bread crumbs.
It all comes together easily and quickly.
A tasty vegan meal, perfect for weeknight dinners.
More chard recipes you may like:
- Spaghetti Squash with Chard, Walnuts and Chèvre
- Savory Teff Cakes with Wilted Chard & Fresh Tomato Relish
- Mediterranean Chard Salad
- Warm Lentils with Roasted Beets, Wilted Chard & Goat Cheese
- Simple Sautéed Greens Recipe
Enjoy the Chard Pasta- please let us know what you think!
Linguini tossed with an entire bunch of wilted chard, garlic, lemon and toasted bread crumbs with optional chili flakes and pecorino cheese. A healthy 30 minute vegetarian meal full of flavor!
- 4 ounces dry pasta- linguini, spaghetti, etc.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves,rough chopped
- 1 shallot- finely sliced
- 1 bunch chard – chopped, stems separated
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- lemon zest from one lemon
- optional toppings: chili flakes, toasted pine nuts, pecorino cheese
Toasted Bread Crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup bread- crumbled and torn
- 2 garlic cloves- sliced (optional)
- Cook the Pasta: Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to directions. Drain, and save 1 cup of hot pasta water.
- At the same time, wilt the chard. In an extra-large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the sliced garlic and shallot and sauté for 3-5 minutes, stirring, until fragrant and golden. Add chard stems first, and sauté for 2 minutes, then add the rest of chard, gently wilting (add a little splash of pasta water or white wine if dry). Turn heat off.
- Make the garlic chips & toasted bread crumbs—heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. For extra garlic flavor, add sliced garlic and saute until golden crispy. Set aside. Add torn and crumbled bread crumbs and gently toast, stirring often until golden and crisp. Set aside.
- Combine. Add the cooked pasta to the wilted chard along with the lemon zest, salt and pepper, heating up gently. Toss well, adding a little pasta water to loosen it just a bit. Add a drizzle olive oil , just enough to lightly coat the noodles.
- Taste for salt, add a squeeze of lemon juice if you like and adjust both to taste.
- Serve: Divide among two bowls and sprinkle with optional chili flakes, garlic chips & toasted bread crumbs. Dust with pecorino, or leave the cheese off and keep it vegan. 🙂
Keywords: garlicky Chard pasta, chard pasta recipe, chard recipe, best chard recipe,