(Sponsored by Maille)
Fast, fresh and flavorful -this dish is all about the relish. Made with simple, everyday ingredients, Mustard Seed Relish is perfect over seared chicken, fish, or keep it vegan and spoon it over grilled eggplant (my favorite!), portobello mushrooms or roasted cauliflower steaks! So versatile and easy, yet interesting and different, whole grain mustard gives simple familiar foods a delicious twist. And my guess is you probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry.
Doesn’t it look good?
When creating flavor, especially when in a hurry I often turn to whole grain mustard, because I usually have it on hand- ready to be whisked into dressings, blended into marinades, added to sauces or in this case stirred into a simple herb relish. It adds a huge boost of flavor which pairs well with so many different foods. Cornichons add even more depth and flavor while giving the relish a delicious crunch. The best thing is this literally takes just minutes to make, and the payoff is HUGE!
Here’s a little video of the relish filmed, by my husband, Brian. Take a peek!
Here’s a little video of the relish filmed by my husband, Brian. Take a peek!
Look at all these fresh ingredients that go into it! Parsley, shallot, lemon zest, Maille’s whole grain mustard and cornichons. Mix with olive oil and viola, it’s done.
So simple, yet so flavorful!
Spoon this Mustard Seed Relish over seared chicken, grilled eggplant or roasted cauliflower steaks and instantly transform your dinner. Seriously, try it and see!
- 2-4 chicken breasts ( or sub 1 lb eggplant or whole cauliflower- see notes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mustard Seed Relish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- ⅓ cup chopped Italian parsley
- 5 cornichons ( little french pickles- or sub 2 tablespoons capers)
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard like Maille
- zest of ½ a lemon
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, and sear both sides in a well oiled skillet. Lower heat and continue cooking until cooked through.
- While chicken is searing, make Mustard Seed Relish.
- Whisk relish ingredients together in a small bowl.
- When chicken is done, spoon a couple tablespoons over each one.
- Substitue grilled eggplant or Roasted Cauliflower Steaks for the chicken...both, delicious vegan dinners! To make eggplant, slice into ⅓ inch slices. Brush sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Either grill each side until golden( then seal tightly with foil for 5-10 minutes to steam) or roast in a 425F oven until golden, about 25 minutes. To make cauliflower steaks, Slice the head of cauliflower vertically into ½ inch slices. Brush both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in a 425F oven until fork tender. Top with relish!