Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries.
This quick, fresh, low-calorie lunch is one of my favorites right now. Vietnamese Lettuce Wraps are a snap to make, especially when you have left-over rotisserie chicken (or baked tofu) in the fridge. This is a recipe for my friend Mikki, who informed me recently while on a trip together, that she doesn’t actually cook, she assembles. After getting my head around the idea, it dawned on me that there are probably a lot of people out there like her. Busy, single, on-the-go folk that eat primarily out of necessity. Well, it might as well taste good….and this is for you. It takes about 10 minutes of assembly time, no cooking required. The ingredients can also be turned into a salad, making it more easily pack-able.
The flavorful Sriracha-spiked Nuoc Cham is oil-free, and packs a huge flavorful punch. Feel free to keep these vegetarian by subbing baked or smoked tofu instead of the chicken. Avocado slices are always a nice option too and add a lovely richness. This would also make a beautiful, fresh and healthy appetizer, served up on a large white platter….so keep them in mind for your next gathering.
Use butter lettuce or little gems for the base.
Then start filling them up.
Make the easy oil-free Vietnamese dressing called Nuoc Cham.
This flavorful Nuoc Chom is made with fresh lime juice, water, fish sauce, sugar and shiracha — the perfect balance of all. Fish Sauce, gives the dressing good umami flavor, and it’s a fermented sauce, full of incredible probiotics. It’s a bit of a “grown-up” taste, or an acquired taste, but it’s worth acquiring, I promise. When balanced properly, you almost won’t notice its presence.
When ready to eat, just spoon it over the wrap.
Vietnamese Lettuce wraps
Easy, fast and healthy Vietnamese Style Lettuce Wraps
- Prep Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 12 mins
- Yield: 1
- Category: Lunch - Vegetarian option
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
- 4 leaves butter lettuce or little gems
- 1/2 avocado, sliced (optional)
- 1 cup cooked chicken ( or sub baked or smoked tofu or seitan) shredded or cut into bite size pieces
- 2 radishes sliced
- 1 cup match stick carrots or shredded cabbage
- 1 small turkish cucumber
- 1-2 scallions sliced
- 6-8 fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons roasted crushed peanuts (optional)
- Nuoc Cham :
- ¼ cup lime Juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tsp sriracha
- Make Nuoc Cham. Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Assemble wraps.
- Arrange lettuce leaves on a plate or platter. Divide veggies among them and fill with chicken. Add a slice of avocado, scallions, torn mint leaves and peanuts.
- Serve immediately with Nuoc Cham.