This Quick & Easy Mole Rojo Sauce (aka Red Mole) can be made in 20 minutes and has the best flavor! Use this with meat, tofu, beans, or as a flavorful sauce for enchiladas, burritos, taco meat, or taquitos! Video.
If you’ve been here a while, you’ve seen this recipe for our Quick Mole Rojo Sauce on our Butternut Enchiladas many years back. We’ve simplified traditional red mole, which can often take hours or even days to make, and made it so easy, that one could even make this on a weeknight!
This version, though not traditional, offers up great flavor and can be used in many ways in the kitchen.
We also have a beautiful recipe for Mole Negro- an Oaxacan-style black mole sauce-smoky, sultry and complex- which takes a little more time but is worth the effort.
Quick and Easy Mole Recipe Video
Ingredeints in Mole Rojo Sauce
- Stock or broth- veggie, or chicken.
- Tomato sauce – or diced tomatoes and juices
- Olive oil
- Chipotle chilies in adobo sauce ( the kind that comes in a can)
- Salt, Pepper & Spices: chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, cinnamon
- Sesame tahini paste, or peanut butter or almond butter
- Semi-Sweet or Bitter sweet Dark chocolate
How to make Mole Rojo Sauce
Step 1: Place all ingredients except the chocolate and tahini paste in a blender.
Tip: Using the adobo sauce from the can adds a delicious smokiness to the sauce without it being overly spicy.
Freeze any leftover chilies for another time.
Blend it all up until smooth.
Step 2: Place the blended sauce into a medium pot and bring to simmer (cover it, it will splatter), simmering for 10 minutes, cooking the onions and garlic in the sauce.
Step 3: Stir in the tahini paste and chocolate into the warm Mole Sauce.
Step 5: Whisk until smooth. Taste and adjust salt, heat and sweetness to your liking.
Step 6: Loosen the sauce with a little more broth or water until it is the desired consistency.
And there you have it… Quick and Easy Mole Rojo Sauce!
Other Mole recipes you may like:
- Mole Black Beans
- Butternut Squash Enchiladas with Mole Rojo
- Mole Negro Sauce (Black Mole Sauce)
- Stuffed Poblano with Mole Negro Sauce
- Chicken Mole
Enjoy this quick, easy recipe and let us know what you think!
How to make Quick & Easy Mole Rojo Sauce (aka Red Mole) with amazing flavor in under 20 minutes! Use this with meat, tofu, beans, or as a flavorful sauce for enchiladas, burritos, taco meat, or taquitos! Makes 2 1/2 cups.
Quick Mole Sauce:
- ½ cup veggie broth, chicken stock or water. More for thinning.
- 15-ounce can tomato sauce (or diced tomatoes and juices)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ an onion- rough diced
- 1–2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1–3 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, plus 2 Tablespoon adobo sauce
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 teaspoon oregano- optional
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch cloves (optional)
- ½ tsp salt and pepper, more to taste
- 4 tablespoons sesame tahini paste, peanut butter or almond butter
- 2 ounces semi-sweet or bitter-sweet dark chocolate squares
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Blend. Place all the ingredients (EXCEPT the CHOCOLATE and TAHINI PASTE) in a blender. Blend until very smooth.
- Cook the Sauce. Place this Mole sauce in a medium pot, bring it to a simmer over medium heat, cover (it will splatter!), lower heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in tahini sauce and chocolate until melted and combined.
- Taste, adjust salt and sweetness. Add 1-3 teaspoons of agave or maple syrup if necessary (some chocolate is sweeter than others), or add more chipotle for heat, a splash more soy sauce for depth (or salt, or a bouillon cube!) Make sure you can taste a hint of cinnamon; if not add a little more. You want a nice balance between salt, sweet, spicy, with depth.
- To loosen the sauce, add a little more stock or water until desired consistency.
The sauce will keep up to 5 days in the refrigerator and freezes well!
Keywords: mole sauce, easy mole sauce, mole rojo, how to make mole sauce, mole rojo, mole rojo recipe, quick mole sauce, fast mole sauce,