This Grilled Romaine Salad with Corn, Fava Beans and Avocado is a simple way to highlight summer’s bounty. Keep this vegan, vegetarian or bump up the protein by adding grilled shrimp. Either way, it’s sure to be your new favorite salad. Don’t have access to fresh Fava beans? No worries, sub edamame!
With temperatures in the 90’s, we are in the peak of salad season and, honestly I couldn’t be happier! Thankfully Brian loves them too and we’ve been having fun thinking up new ways to serve them up. Here is the latest rendition… Grilled Romaine with Fresh Corn, Fava Beans and Avocado with summer tomatoes.
This week we’ve partnered with Loius Jadot to create a recipe to go along with one of my favorite summer wines – their delicious Rose. I’ve been sipping on this wine the last month and really love it! Super refreshing on hot summer nights, with the loveliest orange blossom aroma, it’s bright and crisp with a creamy finish- a perfect paring for grilled foods! Also, it’s surprisingly affordable (under $10) and can be found this at World Market and Costco.
For Brian’s version of the Grilled Romaine Salad I’ve bumped up the protein and added some grilled shrimp, which seems to make him extremely happy.
Grilling romaine hearts couldn’t be easier and the slight charring adds delicious summer flavor.
Cut the romaine hearts in half and brush or spray with olive oil. Grill each side over medium high heat for just a few minutes on each side. You want them to get a nice char, but to still have bit of crunch.
Grill corn, lemons and Fava Beans.
If you can’t find fava beans, substitute edamame!
Grill the fava beans until the pods are tender, and then shuck. I don’t mind the 2nd skin on the fava beans, so I leave them on…more fiber! But if they bother you feel free to remove them.
Shuck the grilled fava beans and place over the grilled romaine.
Add the corn and avocado and season with salt and pepper and squeeze with the grilled lemon.
For added richness, you could add a cheese to this or try this Yogurt Dill Dressing.
Serve this on a platter on the patio with a cool and refreshing glass of Rose.
And remember for heartier appetites, feel free to add grilled shrimp to the grilled romaine salad!
Grilled Romaine Salad – a light and refreshing summer meal!Print
Grilled Romaine Salad with Corn, Fava Beans and Avocado
Healthy delicious, Grilled Romaine Salad with Corn, Fava Beans and Avocado – a light and refreshing summer meal. Keep it vegan or add grilled shrimp for added protein. Either way, it’s sure to be your new favorite salad. Don’t have access to fresh Fava beans? No worries, sub edamame!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Main, Salad, Grilled
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: Northwest
- 2 romaine hearts, cut in half lengthwise
- olive oil for brushing ( or use olive oil spray)
- 1 ear corn, shucked
- ½ pound fresh fava beans in pods (or sub shelled edamame -see notes)
- 1 lemon ( cut in half)
- ½ pound shrimp (optional) peeled, raw and deveined. ( Larger size shrimp works best.)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half.
- fresh herbs like Italian parsley or dill
Dressing Options: Pick one – or use a little of both!
Yogurt Dill Dressing:
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 fat clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper, more to taste
- Preheat grill to med-high.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- Brush or spray romaine with olive oil, and season with salt, then grill each side briefly (leave lid open) until good grill marks appear, but not so long that lettuce loses its crunch. Set these on a platter, large cutting board or sheet pan.
- Grill the lemon (cut-side down), corn on the cob, fava beans and optional shrimp (see notes) over medium heat. Once the fava beans are tender, about 10 minutes, shuck and divide among the romaine wedges. Cut the kernels off the corn and divide. Add the diced avocado and halved cherry tomatoes. If using shrimp, add it now. Squeeze the salad with the grilled lemon halves, and spoon a little dressing (either one, or both!) over top. Scatter with fresh herbs.
If grilling shrimp, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Keywords: grilled romaine salad, grilled romaine salad recipe, fava beans recipes, grilled shrimp salad, fava beans, grilled fava beans, fava beans recipe