Healthy delicious, Grilled Romaine Salad with Corn, Fava Beans and Avocado – a light and refreshing summer meal. Keep it vegan or add grilled shrimp for added protein. Either way, it’s sure to be your new favorite salad. Don’t have access to fresh Fava beans? No worries, sub edamame!
- 2 romaine hearts, cut in half lengthwise
- olive oil for brushing ( or use olive oil spray)
- 1 ear corn, shucked
- ½ pound fresh fava beans in pods (or sub shelled edamame -see notes)
- 1 lemon ( cut in half)
- ½ pound shrimp (optional) peeled, raw and deveined. ( Larger size shrimp works best.)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half.
- fresh herbs like Italian parsley or dill
Dressing Options: Pick one – or use a little of both!
Yogurt Dill Dressing:
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 fat clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper, more to taste
- Preheat grill to med-high.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- Brush or spray romaine with olive oil, and season with salt, then grill each side briefly (leave lid open) until good grill marks appear, but not so long that lettuce loses its crunch. Set these on a platter, large cutting board or sheet pan.
- Grill the lemon (cut-side down), corn on the cob, fava beans and optional shrimp (see notes) over medium heat. Once the fava beans are tender, about 10 minutes, shuck and divide among the romaine wedges. Cut the kernels off the corn and divide. Add the diced avocado and halved cherry tomatoes. If using shrimp, add it now. Squeeze the salad with the grilled lemon halves, and spoon a little dressing (either one, or both!) over top. Scatter with fresh herbs.
Keywords: grilled romaine salad, grilled romaine salad recipe, fava beans recipes, grilled shrimp salad, fava beans, grilled fava beans, fava beans recipe